Exhaust manifold very hot

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Exhaust manifold very hot
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Got my Berg's radiator the other day and it works great!

Had it running today, it idles fine but can't get steady high rpm. When I give it gas it spits and stumbles then noticed that the center of the exhaust manifold turned white checked with the infrared thermometer it was over 800 degrees the dark area was 500 degrees.
I'm guessing there is a leak and it is running rich causing it to overheat.
Am I guessing right and would this cause it to run rough at high rpm?

intak

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Too lean and/or retarded spark (timing) could cause that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Lean cylinders will run hotter than rich ones. High rpm miss under no load points to ignition. What do you have? A stock T system with high end miss, I would look first at the timer, then the coils. If the engine stumbles under load at any rpm, look at fuel supply. Carburetion problems tend to affect all cylinders more equally but an intake manifold gasket leak will affect two cylinders only. Start with the basics. Do all cylinders have compression? If not, fuel, timing, and ignition don't matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

The only time I ever got T a manifold that hot was a mistake. Started T up for a Sunday winter run,just around the farm. Let it sit in the shed running at fast idle with spark retarded for quick warm-up.Guy coming to look at cattle showed up early, so I had to entertain him till the folks got back from breakfast. It's a wonder it didn't seize up. I suspect something causing late spark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:21 am:

That's not good for the exhaust valves either! Your fuel is burning late and is actually still burning as the exhaust valves open. You need to advance the spark.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

If the engine has been running, what do you expect?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

I don't expect it to get so hot that white powder forms on the surface.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

All exhaust passes through the rear of the manifold so they tend to get hotter around ports 3 & 4. The white powder is caused by oil or other substance getting so hot it turns to ash.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

My money is on lean mixture and/or late ignition timing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

I think he has a leaking exhaust valve in 2 or 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Like I said when I saw the thing turn white I knew something was not right, it never happened before.

I have since run it without any problem. I advanced the timer at higher rpm and I readjusted the float again and it is running smoother.

Thanks for the help!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration