Band changing.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Band changing.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

I thought you may all like to see what I found when I changed my bands.

My Australian built '27 tourer was done up in the 1970's, very pre Internet, a lot of bits were hard to source so necessity was the mother of invention. First problem I had was that one of my three bands was a non detachable ear band so off came the hogshead. A blessing in disguise as the bendix pretty much fell apart in my hand as I removed the cover. It also meant I was able to inspect field windings and magnets and posts along with the triple gear. All are fine.

Getting back to the non detachable band, I found this had been lined with brake shoe material, in fact, it was bonded to the band. This was my low speed band. The other two bands had a woven material but the brake band had the lining finishing short of the band end and not overhanging. This was the main reason for changing the bands. As I used the foot brake the end of the band would bend down, slightly, and I was concerned I would score the drum.

On the subject of the brake drum, there are no score marks or cracks. Thankfully!

I used cotton bands for re lining but will re line the spare bands with Kevlar.

I have attached a pic of the low speed band that I took out for your viewing pleasure.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

Years ago we used Caterpillar band material that was bonded to the band. Pretty much indestructible. I ran them for about 15 years until the Kevlar came out. Until they seated in good you got some chatter on engagement and I did crack a drum with them once.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration