I thought you may all like to see what I found when I changed my bands.
My Australian built '27 tourer was done up in the 1970's, very pre Internet, a lot of bits were hard to source so necessity was the mother of invention. First problem I had was that one of my three bands was a non detachable ear band so off came the hogshead. A blessing in disguise as the bendix pretty much fell apart in my hand as I removed the cover. It also meant I was able to inspect field windings and magnets and posts along with the triple gear. All are fine.
Getting back to the non detachable band, I found this had been lined with brake shoe material, in fact, it was bonded to the band. This was my low speed band. The other two bands had a woven material but the brake band had the lining finishing short of the band end and not overhanging. This was the main reason for changing the bands. As I used the foot brake the end of the band would bend down, slightly, and I was concerned I would score the drum.
On the subject of the brake drum, there are no score marks or cracks. Thankfully!
I used cotton bands for re lining but will re line the spare bands with Kevlar.
I have attached a pic of the low speed band that I took out for your viewing pleasure.
Years ago we used Caterpillar band material that was bonded to the band. Pretty much indestructible. I ran them for about 15 years until the Kevlar came out. Until they seated in good you got some chatter on engagement and I did crack a drum with them once.