My T first move under power

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My T first move under power
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

My '25 coupe runs and drives, now if I can learn to drive it before I burn up the bands! This is all new to me but seems to be what it should be doing! Hard to ignore the noise of the transmission, sounds noisy to my ear, even managed to back it back inside for the night! I posted picture on Facebook 'cause my photos are to large for this forum. Much to do yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

Way to go Thomas. Closed cars are noisier (at least you hear it more). When I have the top up on a roadster or touring they are noticeably louder.
Enjoy......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

Congratulations, Thomas.A proud moment indeed. Don't panic about driving technique.Do avoid excessive lugging. Practice. And they don't all drive identically alike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

And also, anticipate stops. Learn to coast. As long as you have stock high speed clutch, you can learn to rev 'er up and gently slip the clutch instead of having to do a full downshift into low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

Using the low and reverse pedals, step down on them as aggressively as you can without stalling the engine. Being too soft on the pedals and letting the bands slip is what burns up linings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

I couldn't help but think starting out, I belong here like I belong in the cockpit of a 747!, I had my MGB out for a run earlier, hard to remember when a clutch isn't really a clutch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 01:37 am:

Ditto what Steve says, if you are using the low or reverse band, lock it up and move as needed. Slipping the bands wears them out. Be assertive when using them and also conserve them by anticipating conditions as Jim suggests. Model T transmissions can be noisy when there is nothing wrong with them. Keep plenty of oil in the engine and drive on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 08:45 am:

My experience is that it's much harder to kill the engine when the spark is retarded, so you don't need to slip the bands as much. Try having the spark rod about 1/3 of the way down for reverse and starting out in low, then advance the spark once you're moving well in low gear. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration