What holds the crank pulley on?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What holds the crank pulley on?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 03:14 am:

Hi all, I think I've probably established beyond a shadow of a doubt that this IS my first rodeo so get ready for another stupid question.

What's holding the pin in my crank shaft pulley? There's no cotter pin (but there is a hole for one) and that sucker is held fast. It's so tight that it has me second guessing what keeps it in place. I was hammering it with a drift through the small pulley hole and getting nowhere (and starting to worry about mushrooming the end of the pin) so is there something else keeping it in there or just ninety years of rust and crud?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 03:28 am:

It has a slight taper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 03:29 am:

Try hitting the pin with the drift on the other end of the pin, that is switch the direction you are driving the pin 180 degrees. The pin may have a slight taper to it to keep it tight in crankshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 05:43 am:

Tim, just out of curiosity, why are you removing it? If it was in an earlier thread, missed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 08:01 am:

I'd like to remove it to sandblast and repaint, and there's a fair bit of grime collected under it that will be a lot easier to clean and paint with the pulley out of the way. If I have to leave it in place that's fine too I guess, it will just make my job a bit harder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Taper?!? No. The pin (#3040 or #3040B depending on the year) measures .370" at both ends. It's held in by a tight fit and the cotter pin originally, but over the decades has usually acquired enough rust to be pretty well stuck. I would go with Kevin's suggestion of hitting it from both ends to get it moving. A good soaking in 50/50 might help. The concern over mushrooming the end is valid. The other day I had to cut the squashed end off a pin to get it out. Fortunately the price of a new one is under a dollar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Tim, I think what Steve means by 50/50 is a 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF. This home made penetrating oil seems to work better than any commercially available penetrating oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:13 am:

The hole in the pulley is smaller on one side than on the other. you must drive the pin out through the larger hole. Put a punch through the smaller hole. If you drive it down from the top, the pin will fall out through the hole in the front of the crankcase under the pulley.

The pulley should be a snug fit that does not move around on the shaft. The pin is not really what holds the pulley, but will keep it from sliding off if it is loose. The pin actually for cranking the engine.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:49 am:

Tim, suit yourself on this one, but if I had a non-wobbling, non-rattling pulley on an engine and the only reason to take it off is to clean up an area like that, -I-would not. Especially since getting the pin out is only stage one of the battle. Next the pulley may be 'growed fast'to the crank. Prying and beating. Then there is putting it back on. And it loose and rattling from then on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:54 am:

I'm not worried about the fit of the pulley, it's just loose enough to see it's not stuck. Still, I'll heed to your guys' experience and leave well enough alone. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

"Fortunately the price of a new one is under a dollar."

Steve, I'm surprised that you don't make your own out of 3/8" rod, easy enough to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Just be sure to drive the pin out of the BIG hole, that's the one that should have had the cotter pin in it!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration