OT - Model A Fan Shroud

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Model A Fan Shroud
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:53 am:

I drove a friend's early touring car to a show yesterday. I think I had some vapor lock issues. Besides crap gas, could the shroud cause more problems with cooling the gas line. It seems that Ford abandoned the shroud early on.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

It's not likely. The shroud was discontinued to save money, it wasn't needed for cooling. A's seldom vapor lock, so something else was probably happening--like terrible gas, or maybe a radiator cap on the gas tank? (radiator cap isn't vented, the gas cap is) It's easy to mix them up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Did you adjust the fuel mixture? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

Google "fordbarn; model a vapor lock"
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37710&showall=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

I know the gas and radiator weren't reversed because I had driven about 25 miles. Also, the cap is one of those motometer cars.

I did adjust the fuel mixture to no avail. I've experienced vapor lock one time years ago. But the outside temp was 105. Using Shell gas which at that time was ethanol free solved the problem. Yesterday was a beautiful cool day here in Indiana.

I'll check the Fordbarn.

Thanks,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

If you have issues with it dying when hot and then restarting when cold, a failing coil can mimic what is often thought to be a vapor lock problem. I drove mine daily over a two year period in the sweltering south and never experienced failure from lack of fuel due to heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

I don't think it is vapor lock. I have had Model A's and found that a clog in the fuel line caused the car to run as if it is out of gas. This happens especially at high speeds or when pulling a hill. It can also be caused if you are using a fuel filter instead of the original type sediment bulb. The filter blocks the flow and causes the problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

On occasion on my 28 A I have what seems like vapor lock after driving about 25 miles. I found that if I loosen up the plug on the carburetor you can hear what sounds like air escaping. I tighten the plug back up and its fine again. At first I thought it was a plugged gas cap, but I ran it with no gas cap and it still happened. More than likely something in the carburetor, but hasn't worried enough to take the time to do anything with it. If it happens I just loosen the plug and it is okay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Agree with Norman. So many Model A's have rusty gas tanks and thus fuel delivery issues ranging from clogged fuel line to crud filled carburetors. People will try anything to avoid the inevitable- pull the tank, have it professionally cleaned, and then paint it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration