My '26-'34 front axle. Comments and Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My '26-'34 front axle. Comments and Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

No, not a misprint. Today I dissembled an axle I was given some time ago. Some mechanician combined some later Ford hubs with a late T axle and a Model A or later spring. He used a pipe spacer and the V8 inner bearing with a T outer bearing. I wouldn't recommend this as there is about 1/8 inch of shoulder to fit the ID of the inner bearing. I was surprised to find that the inner bearing shoulder and the outer nut thread were the same for T's and later to '48 I believe. The spindle threads were both RH on my '35 not a LH on one side.

The outer bearing was receded to the point I couldn't find a wrench to fit in the recess. I made a U-shape that fit the bearing flats and the inside of the hub. It worked like a champ.

There was a strange bracket attached to the right spindle. I have never seen a Speedometer bracket like that and hoped someone might recognize it. (P-32158) The stub clamped in it looks to be pot metal.

The later spring was wider but T shackles were used.

I though this might be amusing to some so here it is. Any ideas on the bracket are welcome.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

My guess on the clamp is it was part of an aftermarket front brake setup. Just a guess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

what were you going after, the 35 drum?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Hi Richard,

I sent you a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

It just seemed like a good job for a cooler day. The axle had been sitting outside. The bearings are usable. The drums are '32-34 so they won't fit the '35 except for rolling the chassis around.
Like many of us I enjoy taking things apart regardless of any use.
I am looking for a set of 1935 backing plates and brakes. I haven't advertised yet. I hope some of the local Hot Rod guys have some they have taken off to put hydraulic brakes on their cars.
I just got an email saying the bracket is a 25-27 Stewart possibly for wire wheels so maybe it will find a new home.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

So 28 and on have the kingpins tilted in at 9 degrees, the spindles have this angle built into them (actually about 11 degrees so the wheels don't look "knock kneed")
Your first picture seems to imply that the kingpins have this tilt in them?? The projected line of the kingpins actually hits the ground at about the centre of the tire contact patch.
If this is all the case them you don't need any amount of caster to make it steer very nice both forwards and backwards.
Just wondering if this is the case on this axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:43 am:

'26 - '27 Stewart 490 drive bracket - for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

Les. I would assume the kingpins have the standard tilt for a T axle. I haven't measured it.
The forum has done it's job. I had no idea what this bracket was or what it might be worth. After several emails and a generous offer it is about to complete the set-up for one of our members. Thanks for all the information and comments. Without the forum this item might have been lost or scrapped.
Steve, I had to look up "490" to make sure it wasn't Chevrolet. # Now I know.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Before this goes to it's next caretaker here are some pictures for future reference. This is a Stewart 490 speedometer bracket. Part #'s P-32157 and P-32158. Fits Model T 1926-1927

Hopefully it will help someone who has these or needs these.
Rich

Just a side note, my wife asked what I was doing while removing the bracket from the spindle. I told her what it was and I was selling it. She asked "Can't you build a car for it to go on?"
Life is good.
Where do we find them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Richard,I'm probably too far away to be of any help but I do have a brake set up off a 37 that I removed in 1963 and replaced with hydraulics. Maybe the 37 won't fit the 35 axle anyway. I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Thanks Dave. That might work for me.
PM sent.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration