Removed vaporizer carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Removed vaporizer carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

I removed the vaporizer carburetor and manifolds on my 27. And replacing with a swivel top Holly NH carburetor and manifold. The question I have is the gas and choke rod that goes through the dash is way too long. Is there different size rod that I can use?
Can anyone post a picture on how the choke rod connects to the carburetor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:10 am:

John, there were many different carburetor adjustment rods used on 26-27. Even the ones used on the same carburetor but in different bodies varied. According to the Ford Wholesale Price List of Parts, Effective October 1, 1927, a 26-27 Roadster, or Roadster pickup, with a vaporizer carburetor, as yours had originally, should use a T-4129 I rod, measuring 29 9/16" long. Replacing it with a standard carb, a T-4129 G rod measuring 26 1/4" long, should be correct for that application. You can either find the correct length rod; cut yours down and re-drill the choke sleeve cotter pin hole or buy a new reproduction from a vendor which you'll still have to shorten. I have some choke rods which don't fit my coupe and fordor. One may fit yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Be aware that the throttle rod lever is a different length for the NH (#3531) than the one for the vaporizor (#3531B). IIRC the NH one is longer that the vaporizor one. Or is it the other way around?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

Thanks Terry
But I can't find a 26 1/4 rod from the parts suppliers. I may have to cut my own?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

Also, if this has been discussed, forgive me. You do have the hole in the block for the throttle rod, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Nop no hole in block. I bought the linkage kit adopter from Langs that bolts to the 2 head bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

We did not used to have that option.In my neck of the woods, a good complete engine that had no throttle rod hole would bring less money than earlier engines. Just because the old farts would have to do a tear-down to open the hole with out getting metal in the valve chamber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

I done several "holes" in car by drilling a series of small holes and then tap the plug out with a hammer - shop vac - done !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

I agree, Steve. I was the strong young guy dragging some old farmers spare buzz saw engine out of the woodshed/corncrib/brick-crapper-witha-slate roof.To sell or trade to some equally old T guy.Most of them went into spasms of anguish at the sight of a vaporizer."And if that motor is one o'them sonsa@@@@@@ that ain't got no hole, you gotta tear it all down".I shortly learned different. And that a good vaporizer can be OK. The idea that I am old enough to have been able to easily find things like that commonly in the rough is scary right now. And a few of my early T mentors were WW1 combat veterans.Feeling very mortal at the moment. .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 02:09 am:

A 1926/27 block without the hole for the throttle rod has only a thin iron membrane, so to speak, between cylinders two and three. I have converted many of these to NH or Kingston carbs. Just take a hammer and punch and knock the iron piece out. No one in their right mind should ever tear a model T down for this. Ford designed it that way so that the blocks could be used either way. Knock the piece out from the right side to the left and the pieces will fall out on the ground. Then put on your NH and enjoy the improved performance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 02:18 am:

As I said, I shortly learned different, and it is not a big deal. But one old fart in particular had me convinced it was.And not in his right mind would be an accurate assessment of him. He was one that got one helluva big dose of Kaiser Bills' war, as he called it. Shell shock then. PTSD now. Combat fatigue, WW2.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration