Parts longevity, how long should this stuff last?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Parts longevity, how long should this stuff last?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

I am getting around to much needed maintenance on my TT that i finished up in 2005. When I assembled the radiator and dash for the hood to fit up I naturally put new welting on it from 1 of the vendors. Probably Synders or Smith and jones.
It is worn thru in spots and coming apart. The fan belt, is coming apart.The POR 15 I applied to the front fenders underside, I peeled a section off roughly half the length of the fender and full width.So it failed.

Is it wrong of me to think stuff should last longer than this?
I have ran into similar issues with all the felt and rubber goods I put on my 66 f100 back in 2001. Felt is rotting,rubber shrinking,just plain aint worth a hoot. But when I bought it all it was 500 bucks worth in a box. Needless to say I aint a happy camper about that either.

It would seem the parts we buy are meant to fail and cause a re-restoration of the stuff in a short time just to keep it decent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Not to be a preacher, but after 40+ years in the auto repair field I can say that the best any vehicle will ever be is the day it is built, whether from the factory or the restoration shop. Every day from that point forward it deteriorates. Mileage doesn't much affect a well kept vehicle, it is the aging process, all materials used in the manufacture of parts have a lifespan, mostly because of age. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 12:22 am:

Seems restoration companies use a lot of cheap stuff, why does Oem or nos usually last longer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:34 am:

I suggest OEM stuff lasts longer because it was properly applied on new materials.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:36 am:

OH JOE........I see you're just down the road in Almond!
I'm a tad north of you in Rosholt........ :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 07:53 am:

Some manufacturers care about quality and some don't. I used new rubber from Lynn Steele on a Packard thirty years ago, and it's still good. A rubber floor mat for my Dodge from Andy Bernbaum lasted less than a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 08:09 am:

Kinda like buying just about anything from Harbor Freight. :-) Always love to see the Buy American bumper stickers on the cars in the parking lot as I enter the store. Mostly I buy my rags and rubber gloves there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 08:49 am:

Can we still buy Gates fan belts?? Its been so long since i have bought any i wonder if we can still get them?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Bud, Gates is alive and well. Not sure which part stores stock them. Unbeatable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:29 am:

"After all, What is your car but used parts anyway." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Do you keep your F100 outside, Mack?
If it has been sitting under cover, then I think it's really bad.
Could the TT hood be slightly misadjusted, causing excessive wear on certain areas of the welting?

But well, we know the issues with (too) cheap repro T parts since most T owners are frugal..

Not so with most Packard restorers, so parts may have better quality.. By the way, Steve - do you still have your '39? Driving it too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:09 am:

The f100 sets in the shade most of the time but outside. The TT sits in a pole shed. The welt is worn or torn consistent all around,not just in 1 spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Should inner tubes last 40 years...I have numerous wheels/tires on cars in protected storage...and have had 4 failures in the past month.? I'm worried about the rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:17 am:

RE: Gates fan belts

A few years I special ordered a Gates belt for my 2003 Pontiac because of their reputation for high quality and thinking I would get a product manufactured in the USA.

When I got it, it said "made in Mexico" on the box. It's probably Gates in name only and comes out of the same factory that also makes belts for a dozen other companies.

I haven't had any problems with it but, in this day and age, names have become meaningless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Gates belts are available from Langs, and are wonderful. It pays to shop around and ask questions about who sells the best quality parts. That is why I was forced into the reproduction business over 20 years ago. We only sell wholesale to vendors, but don't get returns. I got an exhaust pipe back last week, because the buyer didn't like the fact I chose Ford's third design of the pipe they made during that period of time. You can't please everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Stuff may very well come from the same factory but often the specs are not the same! Until bitten by the brand Gates i'll trust them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Wow, Larry had a pipe returned?? Amazing. They are wonderful pipes, but Ford did go through some minor changes over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

On the one hand, I feel it's true a lot of supply parts and repro items are NOT equal in quality to the original items. It is very difficult to locate restoration items and materials that are the equal of things produced in the past.

On the other hand, folks who provide repro items have a tough row to hoe. Price points for acceptance of an item impose the necessity for economy . . . then there is the problem of what processes and materials are currently available, and "reverse engineering" items from examples that may or may not be at the extremes of original tolerances.

Bottom line, you have to be your own quality control these days, and we all find that experience is a dear school ! The good news is that forums like this one make life a lot easier !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration