Lead paint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Lead paint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:10 am:

Hey guys, has anyone or do you know anyone who has gotten lead poisoning from working on these old cars. I try to wear a mask as much as possible but sometimes I catch myself cleaning parts at the grinder without a mask. Trying to attribute my resent high blood pressure and headaches to something, just wondering. Doug


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilbur Swearingin--Mt.Vernon,MO on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Don't eat it. Lead paint highly toxic to young children. Causes learning disabilities, tooth decay, GI problems and heart disease in later life. Comes mostly from ingesting paint chips. See HUD warnings that must be given to renters of houses built before 1971. Much less danger to adults but do not want to breathe or ingest.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Whew, thanks Ill stop sprinkling it on my salad now


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:54 am:

Doug,

Likely old age and lack of exercise, combined with diet are the cause of your symptoms and mine.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Two attributes to sleep apnea. I know.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:24 am:

No doubt working on old cars WILL give you headaches at times! Keep a box of dust masks and disposeable gloves handy, and that will cover keeping 90% of the bad stuff out of your body.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Eating more sand will help the body clear itself of lead blockages.

Trust me, ... I'm a doctor. :-)


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

I was paging doctor Howard not doctor Burger, thanks


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Yes, it is a potential problem. Wear a mask and ask your doctor to check for it at your next physical. I personally know two restorers that underwent chelation therapy due to lead ingestion. I don't think it's much of an issue with the model T but many other cars have leaded paints.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

It's not just the paint. Depending on when and who restored a car many garages used lead filler and would melt lead down then file and sand it down to shape and finish. I have found lead body filler in several cars.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

Not good to ingest or breath, but when you sand paint, use wet or dry paper with water and the dust won't get into the air. Most of us grew up in houses painted with lead paint and have no problems, so don't worry about it. I used to be a telephone cable splicer and the old cables were coated with lead. We would use a carding brush to clean up the oxidation and then solder the cables to seal and make air and water tight. Many times ate lunch without washing our hands. I don't know of any of the old splicers who suffered from the lead. Fortunately by the time I got into that work, we were using plastic cables and so only worked on a few of the older existing cables.

Many things seem to be exagerated by sensationalists. It's like the old brake serviceman who used to blow out the wheels with an air gun and would grind the asbestos brake shoes to conform to the drums, and then blow away the dust with compressed air. This man also smoked. Last I knew he was in his 80's and had not had cancer.

Now this does not mean that we should ignore lead or asbestos, but that we can't change what we have done in the past, but can avoid it as much as possible now and in the future.
Norm


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Norman - You beat me to it! I was gonna' mention that it used to be standard practice back in the days of brake drums and brake shoes to always "dress" the newly installed asbestos brake linings on a machine especially designed to, as you say, ensure that the newly lined brake shoes "conform to the drums". And Norm, you also reminded me of my grandfather, a railroad engineer that for a lifetime, smoked a corn cob pipe on the engine, and cigars at home. He lived in excellent health until his last year when he passed away at 95! Certainly, we all need to take care in what comes in contact with, and what is ingested in our bodies, but I also think we're all part of a Master plan,....harold

P.S. And I'm old enough to remember that what brought that "lead paint" thing to a head was that society started to recognize that so many of those "little tykes" at about the age they started walking, loved to put anything they could into their mouths, and that their mouths were right at the height of the edge of the lead based painted wooden window sill!


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

I have worked in auto body shops most of my life. Back in 1982 I had a hernia operation and the doctors found that I had a low level of lead in my blood. They said it will never leave your body, it settles into your bone marrow.


Add a Message


This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration