Before I wreck this hogshead...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Before I wreck this hogshead...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:24 am:

...what's the best way to remove the rivets from the clutch shaft and the low pedal shaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:26 am:

I personally like to dremel the flattened heads of the pins off. Then just a punch and a BFH. The pins are 1/4" unless they've been replaced with larger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:35 am:

I do the same thing as Seth.

Grind off the head and drive out the rest with a punch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Steve,
Just grind one end flat, make punch on the flat side and drill the pins with a 3mm drill all the way. Take a punch of the right seize and drive the pin out..

Just the way I do it.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:42 am:

By drilling the hole you take away the stress in the pin.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Steve, I use a modified Andre approach. Rather than drill all the way through, I go about three parts through. Then I use a pin punch in the hole. The blank end gives a land on which the punch pushes, the hole is a guide for the punch, and it stops you from mis-hitting the end of the rivet and burring it over again. On really stubborn rivets, I upsize the drill until it just cuts down the side of the rivet. That makes the job really easy.

It still pays to use a heavy drift under the shaft/fitting to take the pounding of you selected driver.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Allan's method has always worked for me the best- don't drill all the way through- that way the punch will pull the old rivet out rather than pushing it out. I always put a steel block under the cross shaft to support it rather than letting the hogs head support the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Aluminum or iron hogshead? Makes a big difference. The iron hogsheads are tough, and can take a bit of pounding. The aluminum ones can break easily with just a mild hammering if the shaft is not separately supported.
Otherwise, how Dan McE and others have all said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

For me, better to just cut off the old shaft near the pedal, and then junk the rest of the low speed shaft and notch.

When trying to drill out the rivet in the notch, with the low pedal stuck in the hogshead, the job is really tough.

Besides, the notch is worn, that's why you are removing it, and a new shaft is much better than the old.

So SawsAll the low speed shaft near the pedal support on the hogshead, and remove pedal with stub. Take to workbench and grind rivet flat, centerpunch, drill partway into the rivet, and drive it out with a punch. Fun that way :-)

SawsAll cut away of old low speed shaft, drilled out rivet in stub of pedal.

Slip back in the new shaft on the low pedal, and re-rived a new notch on the new shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

I'm glad I finally managed to drive the pins out of the clutch shaft. You can buy new pedal shafts, but not that one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration