What do you guys do when installing gaskets?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What do you guys do when installing gaskets?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Hey all, what's the preferred way to install gaskets? Is there a common sealant most can agree on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Tim,
Normally when there is a gasket you don't need sealant but both surfaces must be clean and straight.
We are working on 90+ years old cars and the surfaces are not always straight and have rust traces, there for I use a sealant on silicone base.

just my opinion.
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

The fellow from whom I bought my Model T said that his preference was to soak soft gaskets in motor-oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

Old timers will disagree. They will use Permatix #2. I used that messy stuff also. Now I use Permatex The Right Stuff. Not so messy and works better. Check it out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

I install most gaskets dry or with a skim coat of grease. For gaskets exposed to coolant, I put a skim coat of Permatex Ultra Black on both sides. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

What do you guys do when installing gaskets?

===================================

First of all, I like to work in the buff, except for a heavy pair of wool socks.
I like to play classical baroque loudly, or Stalin era Soviet "patriotic" music,
while dancing the ditty-bop, while visualizing firefights and rocket attacks
in AFG.

Or, I like to cover myself in weasel oil while gyrating about the shop, singing
Hail to the Chief.

Ooh ... did I write that out loud ??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

I dare you to put that video on YouTube...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

Burger, I think most of us do it that way but I like to wear a pointed hat with tassels.

I like Permatex #2 also and copper-Kote on head gaskets.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

Ya, Phil and burger have it right....

The absolute best for oil leak free is the new Permantex ULTRA Black or the Right Stuff. Both are different and better than the old RTV.
Right Stuff doesn't have a very long working time and cures and can be put into to service right away. Ultra Black has many uses for gluing things together and also for patching things like a tear in your seat cushion. Many times I use it without the gasket and have no leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

Gene has identified why The Right Stuff is the wrong stuff for slow people like me.I found it setting up before I was ready. I went back to old Permatex #2 with certain exceptions. Head gasket: Copper Coat. Manifolds: Permatex copper high-temp RTV. Inspection cover: grease on the hogshead, black RTV on the bottom of the screen, grease on top of the screen, black RTV on the bottom of the lid. After you put it together that way, the RTV is a permanent gasket and all you ever replace is the thin layer of grease on the hogshead and the screen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

If you are going to use RTV sealant, wipe the mating surfaces down with a lacquer thinner soaked rag and wipe down with a clean rag after. If the mating surfaces aren't spotlessly clean, RTV won't seal effectively. Also give the ultra Black stuff 24 hours to cure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

My preferences:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

The original and still working well in 2016 :-)

None of that new fangled silicon plastic black stringy goop on my T's.

Permatex #2, both sides of gasket, no leaks, good and easy working time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

I glue gaskets in place with 3M Fastbond 10 which is a yellow contact adhesive that comes in quart cans. You brush the surface of the item with a thin coat, then brush the gasket. Let it dry completely, then stick them together.

Then I use a thin bead of "The Right Stuff" on the other surface. If I take apart something assembled this way the paper gasket stays put and is generally in good shape, not needing replacement. You can easily remove "The Right Stuff" from the paper and from the other surfaces using a plastic scraper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Alright, so it sounds like Permatex #2 might be the winner here. Do any of you guys do what the engine book suggests where you lay a thin coat of grease on the engine's surface then use sealant on both sides of the gasket before assembly to make it that much easier to take apart later?

Next question: I think I have a couple options for sealing up my manifolds. I have some steel rings and some copper glands and also a pair of flat gaskets with three holes each punched in them. What combination of these bits do I want to use? I think the rings and glands go together, but the ones I pulled off the car were the two piece assemblies with steel rings in them and I believe were faced with copper. What works best here? I get the impression rings, glands and high temp RTV are the way to go but what about those three-holed thingies?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

I never coat gaskets on both sides......only the side on which it's easier to remove it when it comes time again.
My favorite is Permatex Indian Head gasket cement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Where oil is present, a thin film of black RTV on both sides of the gasket. I may apply to the metal surface or gasket as the situation dictates. For water connections and water hoses, clear RTV. The clear RTV makes it easier to remove hoses at a later date. Again, thin coat is the operative word. A little is good, but more could cause problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

Be sure to apply that coat of grease so the oil has a slippery path to get out and leak like it's supposed to!
That original black RTV silicone stuff was good back in the day but there is a reason the auto mfg's now use a product like the Ultra Black which is a much better sealer. I'm not sure what the difference but it is much better.

Clean oily surface IS important

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration