AC brake pedal: Where to weld?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: AC brake pedal: Where to weld?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Anybody have a picture or diagram showing where the linkage attaches?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

Original AC brakes use a bracket that crimps around the pedal. The linkage is usually up high as in illustration.

Here is similar location on the brake pedal, a welded piece to hold the rod and clevis pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Steve, do you plan to use the direct pull setup shown above, or do you plan to use the pedal with a pushrod and a vendor supplied equalizer setup (or an equalizer of your own design)?

If you use an equalizer, the tab would be welded to the bottom of the brake pedal, like shown in this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/314773.html?1349210560

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

New AC, with Richard Baughman's linkage. It uses both pull rod and a push rod.

This picture that comes with the linkage shows the pedal. It looks to me like the pull rod attaches about 1" to 2" from the center of the pedal shaft, and the push rod about 1" under the shaft. But in the picture we're looking down at it from an angle, so those guesses may be off. Ideally, I'd like to have actual measurements and avoid the guesswork.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

Here is a picture of the weld-on tab that I got as part of the vendor equalizer kit (I didn't use the tab because I bought a ready-made Rocky Mountain pedal that had the tab as an integral part of the pedal).

The tab is just under 2 inches long, 1 inch wide, and 1/4 inch thick. The center of the hole is 1 5/8 inch from the end of the tab. The hole is 5/16 inch diameter.

I'll be happy to mail you this tab if you want it, I have no use for it.

pic

(Message edited by cudaman on September 05, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Why weld anything? The clamp goes around the pedal as shown above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 10:45 am:

I failed to mention, Dan McEachern makes that pedal clamp, or did at one time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Steve,

Why two rods???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

From an email I got a year or so ago from Richard Baughman, the maker of the linkage:

"The two rods from the brake pedal to the bell crank are...top rod for brake actuation and... lower rod (with spring ) is a push back assembly, to prevent brake drag. The push back spring assures complete brake release when you take your foot off the pedal."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

I could make my own clamp. But if I'm welding on a piece for the push rod I might as well do the other piece while I'm at it. The question remains: How far from the shaft should the two holes be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

Steve - If Rich Baughman made the linkage set, wouldn't he be able to provide the correct measurements for where to weld the tabs on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Good thought. I'll check with him and see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Mine was welded as high as possible without hitting the slightly relieved floor boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Here's a photo of the original brake linkage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration