More progress on the 18

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: More progress on the 18
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Well finally had some time the past 2 days to get some more work done on the 18. Rolls around on new tires now. Got to go through the Ruxtel and get in put in and then finish the wheels. Got lots of little details and some finish wiring to do but I am getting there although behind schedule. Eventually I will get to the bed. Enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

It's looking good. I like the finish.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Sweet RPU! :-)
My mish-mash of paints and primers on my '18 roadster just ain't as good lookin'. I LIKE the color rust. Saw that on a Tee shirt last month in Paynesville.
Have you/would you post a pic of your firewall details please? Hell, I wanna see everything on your pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

Sure thing, although I have already replaced the original firewall since it was coming apart at the seams. I have not finished with the wiring and the metal strips/material that go around edges of it yet. Most of the guys here might remember that I am keeping it un-restored in tribute to the man I got it from. The t was very complete minus some small things and a few incorrect bolts/nuts here and there. Not much paint left on it, need to find a way to preserve the patina further.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

Sweet. I learned a couple of details already.
My carriage bolts on the upper firewall-to body cowl (perhaps/likely Milwaukee built) face the other direction so the original parts tell me... :-)
Thanks mark!
Some fellas like Linseed oil to preserve the finish.
Light switch location?
Dimmer inductor location?
Do you have a body date and number? For me and for Hap...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Oof! How much of your tack rail is left behind the rear seat spring? Mine's missing (I think something fell and rested on the body rear sheet and did some upper damage) and the steel is straightened out some and I'm looking for a pic of an original....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Duey, I am taking care to re-use as many original parts/nuts and bolts as possible with this truck. So far I have had good luck. I am working on the lighting circuit now which may be very different than yours since I have the combo headlight/horn set up with dimmer coil. I am still trying to find correct information on that set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:02 am:

Duey, post a photo of the tack rail you are talking about. This is my first early roadster partial wood bodied T so I am unfamiliar with some of the terminology. Also not sure what you are saying about the bolts. Mine have to go that way since the collars of the bolts have a square shank that fits into the metal of the cowling. Seeing other T's including the ones that I have owned over the years this was normal practice for the most part. See attached photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Fantastic pics! The latest pic must be the as-found pic. :-)
Hehehe! This '18 of mine is my first NICE T also and it's still a mish-mash of parts right now in some spots. Parts were bought and installed for a '21... Etc.

The tack rail, I believe it's called. OR Where it's supposed to be. :-)
tack rail

Firewall bolts: Mine go towards the rear thru a block of wood on the body frame and sandwiches the steel in between.
Different body builders and assembly plants perhaps.
Part of my original firewall. One can just see the square from the carriage head.
fiewall

I think I still like yours better. ;-)
Few painting issues...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

On my unrestored May 1917 roadster, for the upper cowl bolts, the bolt heads are on the firewall, inside the engine compartment. The nuts are in the driver's compartment.

On the unrestored June 1917 Rip Van Winkle touring and my dad's July 1917 touring (purchased unrestored from the original family in 1949), the bolt heads are in the driver's compartment and the nuts are on the firewall.

It probably depends on who was installing the firewall on a particular day. In my opinion, having the nuts on the firewall would be easier from an assembly standpoint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Wow that firewall is in good shape. No mine was falling apart at the seams. The photo above is off the internet. Here is a pic of my firewall during disassembly.

I will post a photo of the tack rail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

So here is a photo of the tack rail. Note most of the tacks are still there.

As for the firewall bolts, all of mine go through the steel portion of the sheet metal and those holes have square notches to accommodate the bolts so nuts would face the engine.

As for the firewall patina on mine I sanded it down and used some different paints and oils to make it look old. More to do there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Oh wow! That was bad! I knew they were using ply sometimes then...
Mine's solid dead tree parts but the center section has been missing since the car changed hands.

Erik said "having the nuts on the firewall would be easier from an assembly standpoint." Amen to that.
I'm stuck with the combo switch too and no sign of the dimmer inductor in my pile of parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Here I've been talking on the phone with a friend while he drives, you've posted pics!

I am sorry to be so fired-up/exuberant about these little things but it may be what makes these automobiles so unique. The differences. And we are all correct.
The same only different. :-)
I worked in a factory for nearly 30 and we'd assembled thousands of trailers for the airline industry and a good friend/co-worker noted many years ago about the products we built.. "All alike but no two the same." He's correct. :-)

Thank you for the tack rail pic! As I suspected, the steel needs to be coerced down over the top of the tack rail once the tack rail is installed. Or it was already folded over when the body men got ahold of it. I don't know which.

My upper mount from my perspective. You have a piece of angle, I have a block. Please note that the firewall in my pic is supposed to be for a later car and I am still learning differences and that firewall had been with that car for a long time. Incorrect? Yes. It'll do for now...
Interesting stuff! Do you know the body number on your pickup?
Hap, you seeing this?
body mount

Thank you Mark!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

At least through the end of the 1917 model year, touring and roadster bodies like mine have a thick wood bracket, not the angle iron bracket that Mark shows. The bracket is secured to the body wood by two wood screws that are perpendicular to the firewall bolt.

Don't know when the transition was made to angle iron.

My '17 roadster below:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Dog-gonnit. I missed something in the shuffle tonight. I had wondered if you painted the new firewall brownish to match. Looks Darn Good!
Hey mark, you wanna drill holes under your windshield frame for an APCO upper steering column support? I don't know IF I can do it to mine. Got one down in the woods.
Erik, more feedback? :-) You're a grand source of info and I appreciate it.
Mark, not trying to steal your thread away. I'm just excited since I get to see another automobile that's real similar to the one I'm working on... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

I type too slow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 09:01 am:

Not to worry, I am just having fun working on mine. I have been researching photos of the wiring for some time now so I am trying to get the wiring to look as close as possible to what it did when new. I had a lot of photos before I started so I am going partially off of those. I wish I had some old interior cardboard/peddle trim and seat covers to make it look finished. Oh well, I plan to drive the tires off of it no matter what.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration