24 touring slows then lurches going uphill

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 24 touring slows then lurches going uphill
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtiss Allen on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

My T has begun lurching badly on hills, plenty of gas! Are my bands worn or out of adjustment?

It does act as though its starving but my first suspicion is the low band.

Help!

Tucker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Curtiss,

Give a little more information. Such as;

Is it in high or low when you feel it begin to lurch?

At what speed does it begin to lurch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Depends on how steep the hill and what you mean by lurch. On the 1909-1925 Model T's the gas tank is under the seat and if you go up a steep hill it might starve for gas or stop running completely. A full tank is best for hill climbing. The 1926-1927 cars have a higher tank and you won't have that problem. However a partial clog in the fuel line can still cause it to lurch.

Other things could be a weak spark plug or coil on one or two cylinders which will misfire when pulling hard. Or you could have a slipping clutch. Or if you are in low the band could be slipping.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Others have offered some good comments and thoughts.
I will add one more, over the years on old cars about 90% of my carb problems have been ignition!! On a T the first thing to check is the timer
But when it comes to carbs, I have encountered a number of people who try to run to lean, especially on hills. Opening up the mixture a quarter turn often helps hill climbing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtiss Allen on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Thanks for the good suggestions. The car was my dad's and he passed this year. Although I have driven it quite a bit over the past 10 or so years, I am not familiar with the adjustments like he was and I always relied on his knowledge to get me through. Probably not an uncommon problem as we get older!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration