Driveshaft tube question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Driveshaft tube question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

I'm about to clean up and install a driveshaft tube that I've had for years. In thinking about it, I don't actually know if the tubes varied in design over the years. But I'd hate to install a part like this and then find out it was meant for a later year.

The part will be going into a '12. Is there anything I should look for that would mark the tube as specific to any one year ? I do have an enclosed spool to install.

Thanks in advance,

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

A 1912 should have a 2 piece driveshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

This picture is from far down on this page: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/141987.html?1277525630

2 Piece driveshaft with forged end radius rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 07:45 am:

The 1914 - 27 driveshaft tube will fit too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 08:00 am:

Royce is correct in saying the 1914-1927 tubes will fit, but one of them is so glaringly wrong that you want to avoid it. That would be the stepped tube used near the end of production. All the others are tapered. If you want to be correct for 1912, you want the 1910 to early 1914 tube. Pictures and descriptions are in Rodda's volume 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:27 am:

Dick
Go up to John S and look at my early 14 sitting in his garage. It has a 2 piece drive shaft under it. Feel free to kick any cats out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Thanks, Bill. I have a date to see John on Friday. Will take a good look at your car.

I was aware of the fact that earlier Fords had the two-piece driveshaft, but was wondering whether there was anything else specific to the '12 that I should be looking for.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 11:44 am:

It should also have an enclosed drive shaft pinion bearing spool. There should be a makers cartouche typically a triangle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:05 am:

There is a torque tube from the '21-'25 era that is a bigger OD than the other. This is the late style, but not the stepped '26 type.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration