Radius rod question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Radius rod question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

I have a rear radius rod that has badly damaged threads at the front end. I expect to remove the threaded part, then fabricate a new part and install.

Haven't sand blasted the part yet, but I'm expecting to find that the threaded piece is brazed into the tapered tube. If that's correct, I should be able to sweat the old piece out and braze in the new piece.

Can somebody confirm my expectation or set me straight if I'm wrong ?

Thanks,

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

Dick, if I was doing that job, I would not disturb the forging in the tube. Rather, I would cut off the damaged part, seriously vee the cut and the donor piece, and then weld the new end on. I use the same process to add new shafts onto crank handles.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 04:30 am:

Yes the threaded part is pressed in,brazzed and there is also a pin. You cannot take out the old part.
I had the same problem with the thread worn out. The old threaded part was also broken in the radius rod, certainly when installed originally.
I cut the damaged end, bore a hole in the remains of original part in the radius rod, threaded it and installed the new part and welded it also. Then you have to bend it exactly as it was . I could do it because I have access to a very big lathe.

I think it would be easier to add some metal with mig or arc welding on the damaged threads,adjust the diameter then rethread the part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 07:38 am:

I would hold a brief retirement ceremony for the old one. Then replace it with a good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Funny Royce ! I agree - replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Dick, the threaded part was forge welded to the tube. I have an old one you can have to play with if you wish.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration