Changing low speed band lining

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Changing low speed band lining
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

On my 26, which has the detachable ears, do you have to remove the brake and reverse bands in order to replace just the lowspeed band?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:08 am:

No just the brake band. I remove the brake band then slide the low band back and remove it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:11 am:

I seem to recall seeing a post from Steve Jelf saying that when he replaced his bands he did the low band last, implying that the brake and reverse bands were already in place when he installed the low band.

Steve, do I have that right?

Dave, give it a try and let us know how it goes. Take it slow, and if you get frustrated, walk away from it for a while before you go back to it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:29 am:

This weekend was the first long run for my 26,....about 150 miles round trip, after a complete rebuild, engine and drive train including transmission. I likely have about 400 miles on her in total.
Most of the components performed performed very well,...except the low speed band.
I installed kevlar bands when I rebuilt the unit which have had to be adjusted constantly. Although the reverse and brake bands have only required adjusting once.
I was told that kevlar bands take a while to seat in.
However this weekend I think I may have adjusted them too tight, when I got home and pulled the cover off it was obvious the low speed band has failed. I just hope I didn't damage the low speed drum,...what should I be looking for in a drum failure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

Kevlar doesn't "self destruct" - too tight causes excessive heat so most likely the drum cracked causing the "low speed band has failed" - have someone turn the engine over by hand while you observe the drums turning - you'll see something amiss !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

The result of bands too tight with kevlar bands. The fault is not the kevlar, but the cam, notch and pedal alignment. It is very important that the pedal can move from high to neutral without compressing the band and then when pushing down beyond neutral it compresses the band and tight 1 1/2 inch above the floorboard. Unfortunately when things are worn it is necessary to adjust the band so that it is partially compressed when the pedal is in the neutral position and it will drag all the time the engine is running including in high gear or reverse.

The band should be completely released when you are in neutral or high.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

Turns out I have a cracked low speed drum,....Damm !!
I have some spare drums but, turns out they are the narrow drums for the older transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

I thought only the brake drum was wider on the improved cars, the other drums were the same width as on the older cars. ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Bummer Dave !

You are correct, Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

It's irrelevant if you have to take it all apart to replace the drum, but Mark is correct. I found it least difficult to do the low band installation after the reverse and the brake.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration