Replacing wrist pin bushings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Replacing wrist pin bushings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete Ruzicka on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 10:57 am:

I need to replace the wrist pin bushings on my original iron pistons. I need to do just one until I do the complete rebuild. I am hoping someone can give me the best method. I do have a press and the ability to ream these to size. I just want to remove the old ones install the new ones without destroying the piston.
Thanks, Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Pete - I'm pretty sure that you're gonna' get a lot of advice here to go to aluminum pistons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete Ruzicka on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

The long term plan I have is for a total rebuild and that's the likely path. I need to get by just for the rest of this driving season. So I want to be able to drive this just a bit more this season, but I am concerned about the noise...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Best practice is to use/make a fixture to hold the piston - as in a cradle support. A wooden one will suffice. Not too difficult of a project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete Ruzicka on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 07:46 am:

Thanks Steve, I didn't think it should be too hard of a thing to do... I get the car apart next week and find out what I need to order along with my current wish list of stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 08:59 am:

Pete, with just one piston to do,I would be using a length of all thread and nuts to wind the bushings in, one at a time, form each side of the piston. That way there is no risk of deforming the piston.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Pete, what I did to get the old ones out is cut them with a hacksaw blade.In thirds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete Ruzicka on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Alan and Jim Thanks for your suggestions, I am glad there is this many folks out there who want to keep these cars going. I have had it for over 20 years and I plan to do a complete rebuild in the winter.
Thanks again, Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

It might be simpler to replace the piston. Most folks will give away their old iron pistons when they rebuild their engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete Ruzicka on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 11:13 am:

That's a good thought. I guess I need to ask some locals and if I get no where I just do the job..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Pete,
Here a few photo of what I first used to replace the bushing. A 16mm key a long bar that fits the key and a hard wooden block with a hole the bush fits just in. You will need a good hammer or press.
Than I made a small tool with the photos I get from my friend Toon Boer from the Netherlands.
Both work great.
To set the new bushing just use a long bolt nut and washers

Andre

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete Ruzicka on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

Andre,
An excellent idea! I also think that the fabricated tool could be used to remove and replace the busing! Just change the stacking and use a longer threaded bolt or threaded rod...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

The bushing need to be honed to size, I doubt that reaming will do the best job.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration