Info needed about Woodward & Rowe Auxiliary Transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Info needed about Woodward & Rowe Auxiliary Transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

I gambled on a Woodward & Rowe Model 18 auxiliary transmission, but I can't seem to find much information about it except an original ad.

Is anybody running one? I assume the only way to check if it's an underdrive or overdrive unit is to open it up and count gear teeth, correct?

Woodward & Rowe Model 18

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

I don't know a thing about a Woodward & Rowe Model 18, but you could easily determine its ratios by simply turning the input shaft and counting how many turns it takes to get a turn on the output shaft. Do this for each gear.

It won't be as precise as counting gear teeth, but a lot easier and it will certainly demonstrate what to expect once it's installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

https://books.google.com/books?id=FhpGAQAAMAAJ&pg=PT239&lpg=PT239&dq=Woodward+%2 6+Rowe+Model+18&source=bl&ots=BSzFJ84Gj0&sig=mRs4CeG8W6LMJWbllVWh4gS2KTk&hl=en&s a=X&ved=0ahUKEwi93siAqPvOAhUTzWMKHX7nCOgQ6AEIKDAC#v=onepage&q=Woodward%20%26%20R owe%20Model%2018&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

In case anyone does a search for this transmission in the future-

I opened it up, and it turns out that it's reversible. You can just swap the gars end-for-end and set it up as underdrive or overdrive.

There's a crack in the side of my housing, so this may or may not end up on my car. Still deciding.

Patent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

In case anyone does a search for this transmission in the future-

I opened it up, and it turns out that it's reversible. You can just swap the gears end-for-end and set it up as underdrive or overdrive.

There's a crack in the side of my housing, so this may or may not end up on my car. Still deciding.

Patent

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration