OT - I'm Not Sure

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - I'm Not Sure
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

I was just at a local Walgreens. While in line to pay for my purchase I noticed a Time-Life magazine titled Great Inventors. On the cover were 4 photos, one being Thomas Edison, 2 of folks I didn't recognize, and Henry Ford standing in front of a Model T.

Henry Ford, as we all know, did a lot of things he is well remembered for, but did he actually invent anything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

I wouldn't say so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

For somebody who didn't invent much, he sure had his name on a lot of patents! :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/Ford_Patent_Catalog_share_-78925.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

He invented the internal combustion engine. Who knew?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Not so much inventing but causing: traffic jams ... road rage ... distracted driving ... hitchhikers ... motels ... lowjacking ... impound fees ... ripoff mechanics ... DMV ... Titles ... leftlane idiots ... deer-in-the-headlights ... Tim Horton traffic congestion ... drive-ins ... foggy windows at drive-ins ... Darwinism ... check engine light ... Honk If You're ***** signs ... bug splats right where you look ... tailgate parties ... mudding ... gunracks ... ripoff insurance rates ... Thelma and Louise ... assassinations ... widows ... NASCAR (finally a good thing) ... pizza delivery ... unwanted pregnancy ... nightvision targets ... next-town girlfriends ... hoards of auction goodies ... women drivers ... men drivers (equal rights, huh) ... train accidents (been there - done that) ... lovers lane ...

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Just about covers it Garnet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:42 am:

Henry wasn't born when the internal combustion engine was invented.
Jean Lenoir produced a gas-fired internal combustion engine in 1860.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 05:51 am:

According to my original 1914 Ford Manual, pg. 41; "The Ford magneto, which generates the electric current, is the invention of Mr. Henry Ford." I don't know the history of the magneto, so is this really true or a case of early sales propaganda?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 06:29 am:

I looked at Mark Strange's list and notice No. 686046, H. Ford - Motor Carriage, a chassis patent awarded to Mr. Ford is missing from the list. This was the forerunner of the flexible arrangement on our front axles.

This one comes to mind because I keep a framed picture of it on my wall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 08:08 am:

According to Wikipedia, at the very least, two gentlemen were involved in the invention, the first commercially successful internal comb. engine in 1859 (Henry wasn't even born yet), and then fwiw the first "modern" internal combustion engine was developed in 1876 when Henry was but a mere 13 y.o. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion_engine

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration