Spring-Loaded?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spring-Loaded?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerrit on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Got some advice from friend regarding removal of rear bow spring. Says I should take safety precautions, use a "spreader" as I could suffer injury by just unbolting it. Center locating bolt is broken, want to replace. As always, so grateful for this forum and any help. Car is '21 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

There is a spreader you can use but it's not necessary. Do a google search of this forum for the method using just a jack and block of wood. Easy. I think Steve Jelf has some good photos of the technique.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerrit on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

Ok thanks. I did a keyword search before asking here. Will investigate further. Also--is it possible to be notified of replies via email or do users have to search the forum for their original post/question?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Read chapter XVIII "Changing Rear Spring" in the Service Manual. It is exactly the same method my father and I have used to remove the rear axle from the spring.

Also - Donald Conklin's post in this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/120657.html?1263244476

Note: you don't need wood blocks to remove the shackles from the spring and perches but they might make the job easier. However, you do need wood blocks to reinstall the shackles when the spring is already installed in the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

PS: you can also loosen the perch nuts on the rear axle backing plates to reduce the tension when removing and installing the shackles. See Larry Smith's comments in the thread that I posted above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

gerrit, Eric's/Larry Smith's comments are, in my opinion the safest and best way to remove/replace the rear spring. As I recall, even the "Jelf" has commented on this procedure.

I have replaced several springs/shackles and only tried the "spreader method" once. It scared me too much!

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Gerrit,

The "Keyword Search" doesn't work. The doodad is busted.

Search using Google like this, "MTFCA forum spring removal"

Doing that, I get the following result:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/487847.html?1413824616

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

After trying different methods I now use the Peterson-Smith method. Just loosen the big perch nuts until you relieve the spring tension on the shackles. Then the shackles are easily removed and you proceed to take out the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

I put smaller sections of 2x4 between the eyes of the spring and rear axle housing, and with the perches loose, but still hanging on by a few threads, you apply jack pressure under the rear to relive pressure off the shackles for removal/installation.

Steve Jelfs method sounds very similar except for leaving the shackles in the perches.... That might be a little easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerrit on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Thanks for all the great tips! I'll proceed with caution now that I understand the procedure better. This is a fairly original and unmolested car so everything's been in place for a loooooong time. Would like to retain as much original hardware as possible so I'll give it all a good soak and tap tap tap before undoing anything. Thanks again I'll be in touch 😊

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

For the rear spring removal, a big yes to you need the spreader to remove the Model A rear spring. The Model T rear, never needed one not even close to the tension that the A is under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

If the spring is in the car, all you need to do is jack up the body and lay short pieces of 2x4 under each end of the spring between the end of the spring and axle housing. Then add some weight to the rear of the body and lower it onto the 2x4's and take out the spring shackles. Then remove the weight from the body and jack up the body. Remove the nuts and keepers from the U bolts and pull out the spring.

Reverse the procedure for installing the spring.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Gerrit, no e-mail notification of replies to a post. However if you click on your user profile (and log in)you will see a list of your most recent posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

It's a good idea to save all the original fasteners you can. The stuff you find most places today, in stores and online, isn't the same. And because of the relatively limited market, most reproductions are costly.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration