Enough Room For AC Brakes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Enough Room For AC Brakes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

Looking at my rear brake drums, I'm not sure there's enough room for AC brakes. You can see the spokes may be far enough toward the inside to cause accessory brakes not to fit.

Opinions? I need to know before purchasing a set, only to find they won't fit. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

You need new brake drums. Those are too rusted and pitted. They will destroy external brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

Jack - Thanks for that, I expect to get new drums. However, I also need to be sure a brake set would fit with the Simplex wire wheels that I have on it, with new drums. No way I plan to replace those, so that's the big question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

At first glance, it does look like the spokes will hit the anchor bolt area at the back of the brake assembly. Is anyone running AC brakes with wire wheels? What if anything did you have to do for clearance?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

AC's seem to fit most wires, but hard to tell from your photo if there is room above the drum surface. Your style wires seem to have big overhang toward the drum surface, so AC might not fit.

Newer repro AC brake fit.

AC clear this style wire wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

I thank you for this thread. The Rocky mountain brakes I bought will not go on my 25 roadster because the Hayes wire wheels have an integral brake drum, so I was looking at AC's too.
Dave, all is not lost. If you can locate/have made a pair of wider drums, you should be able to space the mountings inboard to allow the shoes to clear your spokes. Drums from an English Hillman Avenger would do the trick, but I guess they will be thin on the ground over there!

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

I don't know how the Simplex wheels mount, but I had to make a spacer for my stock wire wheels. I have Ford T wires on a small drum rear end with AC brakes. I just added 1 inch spacers for the hubs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration