8 volt battery question-rod dipper's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 8 volt battery question-rod dipper's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

HI, I have a 1920-ish T ford, just got her, wondering if I can use a 8 volt battery, other jobs I have used them and they worked out swell. I know I may have to tweek the cutout or change it.I don't want to do damage to the other systems. I took the pan down to inspect things in there, all looks in great shape only there are no dipper's on the rod caps. the engine looks to have been used a lot. and the rod's are snug and have shim's in place. any advice here? thank you Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

yes 8 volts works great. The Gen. will still charge it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

No dippers are no problem. Ford built 15 million T's without them. Dean Yoder has put many thousands of miles on his touring which has no dippers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

It's a popular superstition that you need more than six volts to start a Model T. Not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ycpdfIjDo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Thank you Phil,& Steve, my reason is I live in the woods in Vermont and looking forward to driveing her at night. [brighter lights. thank you for your help. I had a friend in my shop when I had her pants down and he was over come when he see no dipper's, [short story, the chain that run the oil pump on my grand daughter's mazda broke 25 miles from home, I dumped two extra qts in drove it home no damage t0.engine, still running. I'm looking forward to enjoying this bit of history.Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Richard, you may get brighter bulbs - but you would also get extremely short bulb life, less than 1% of normal life for a 6V bulb with the engine running and the 8V battery getting charged. See John Regan's answer in this older thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/200309.html?1301172455

I would make sure the reflectors are clean and with good silver plating, then check so the bulbs are focused and keep the 6V. When driving at Model T speeds, I can see the road well with my 6 V headlamps.

There's a real danger getting rear ended by modern drivers when going at T speeds, so it's important to have more than one rear light - and bright ones, too - the old kerosene lamp isn't bright enough for today's roads, unfortunately

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 08:39 am:

Thank you Roger, its folks like yourself that make owning a antique car so much more enjoyable, and safe too. your information is very much appreciated. have a super day. Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:04 am:

Grandpa swore by 8 volt batteries in older tractors because it would spin the starter faster. I suppose that makes sense when your tractor has a magneto ignition, because faster revolutions create a stronger spark and should start the engine faster.

After going to college (oh boy, here we go with this stuff... haha) I've learned why people started putting 8 volt batteries in 6 volt systems. Usually the terminals and connections begin to corrode with age, and this corrosion creates resistance. The extra two volts in an 8 volt battery will make up for the voltage loss due to resistance, so the system is "fixed." If your old car or tractor is experiencing a voltage loss, spend an afternoon cleaning as many connections as you can find. Especially on the starting and charging systems. It can make a world of difference. And it's cheaper than buying a new battery.

If you really want to run an 8 volt, I'm not going to tell you that you can't. It's your car and you can do with it whatever you like. But I agree with Roger, in that you'll burn your 6v bulbs out faster putting 8v to them. Unless the connections to them are corroded as well, which means your headlamps won't be any brighter than they would with clean connections and 6v.

As for the rod dippers, I think they give the owner more peace of mind than actual improved performance. I haven't seen anything that says an engine with dippers runs any better or any longer with them than one without, but that's not to say nobody has tested it.

Again, these are just my opinions and you're free to do whatever you wish to do with your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

Jared, ive been a Grandpa for 45 years, and installed many 8 volters in model-a's Stutz- 2-n's nash's I found brighter lights in them all, just needed to tweak the regulator to up the charging a bit. and yes the old starter woke up and there was power leftover for the coil too. what is the difference in those head light bulbs and the t's.? I guess im going to wire up one of my old Mazda's and see how long it takes to go dark. now onto something a little different, the 1920 ford I just found has two types of wheels, the front has wood fellows non demountable the rear are demountable with steel fellows,will they both take 30x3 Tires? why do some rears want 30x31\2 ,how do I tell the difference?. and why? MODEL-T-IS SHURE A LITTLE DIFFERENT! thank you greg.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration