1916 front wishbone?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1916 front wishbone?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill Crosby Webster, NY on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Hi, Could someone please tell me if a 1916 T Turing car had an over or under axle front wishbone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill Crosby Webster, NY on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Does anyone going to Hershey have a wishbone for a 1916 T at a reasonable price?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 09:34 am:

You need to consider two things. You need a ball that isn't worn too bad, and second you should have the two front studs magnifluxed to make sure there are no cracks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

To add to Larry's suggestions, also be sure the diameter of the two front studs are not worn badly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Bill, if you are not too picky, the following will not apply. The later over-axle wishbones had forged Y pieces at the rear with the longer legs of the later under-axle type. Early wishbones had longer tubes which almost went clear up to the ball forging. I cannot help with the change over date.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

Ford beefed up that wishbone in later years, but can't tell you when though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on September 07, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

The real question is do you have the perches that are needed for the earlier style configuration. If so then I would still keep the other wish bone as a safety precaution using both. You can buy an adapter to do this with a bit of cobbling on your part. They had period accessories that were made just for increasing the strength on the front axle. I have them for my 11 & 12

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill Crosby Webster, NY on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Thank you, all for your guidance and wealth of information.

Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration