Can anyone Identify these Overhead Rocker Assemblies?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Can anyone Identify these Overhead Rocker Assemblies?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:10 am:

I was wondering if anyone knew what these rocker arm assemblies go to. The rocker arms seem to be just a hair too small for my Rajo B Head. The shaft size is smaller than my Rajo as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

RAJO I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

I agree with Jerome, they look like the ones on my rajo cross flow head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Rajo B/BB/R rockers. What do you mean by "too small"?

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

I would have said RAJO also; however, the shaft diameter appears way to small.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

By small, I meant the center ball to center valve stem pad seems a tad too short in length. This is from a rough comparison to the set on my rajo head. And, as mark mentioned,the shaft diameter is alot smaller. I haven't taken any actual measurements yet, but will tomorrow. The center of the shaft is drilled and threaded (maybe 1/8 npt thread) for a possible oiler or grease fitting for oiling the rockers.

(Message edited by benji on September 07, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

Other thought is, are there differences in rocker assemblies from year to year? Meaning, are earlier rajo 8 valve head rocker assemblies different from later?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

It depends on the cam grind. When you change lift and dwell you could have to change rocker ratios when you go O.H.V..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Check inside the rocker arms and see if they were converted to use small roller bearings. That would explain the smaller diameter shaft being utilized. I have seen some RAJO model C35 heads use a smaller diameter shaft but the rocker arms had bushings installed instead of roller bearings. Yet another mystery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

I'll take a peak for bushings. Now that I look at my pics again, there seems to be some sort of cap on each side of the rocker on the far outer ones, and then on the inside of them where the spring is. I never noticed those before.

I'll get some measurements as well tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

Okay, took a peak at both sets of rockers I have for my rajo head. I believe I have a B head First off a pic below. Its been shaved to a 1 inch combustion chamber.

Now, it turns out my eyes were off when I thought the set of rockers I am asking about was smaller (rocker length that is) than the other set I have. It turns out they are all 2.7 inches and change from center of the ball to center of the valve rod pad. So that mystery is finished (and embarrassing enough!)

Mark, I looked at the rockers, and you were correct in your assumption, there is a small shaft on these rockers, with bushings machined to fit inside the rocker itself. You can see it in the pics. These rockers have the same diameter opening as the other set I have.

Most likely what has thrown me off somewhat is that the other rocker set I have was built up with more weld than I had thought. That set has bronze bushings inserted in them with a larger shaft.

The smaller shaft rockers, the stand does not have a larger bushed bore, its specifically made with a smaller hole. Both rocker sets' stands have some Xs stamped on them, and I saw a RR stamped on one bronze stand.

The other difference I forgot to mention was the rocker shaft stands are shorter and of bronze on the rockers assembly in question, and look like steel on the taller rockers.

The last pic is of the ball and cup parts to the taller stand rockers, which is what goes with the head I believe. Now, the welded up rockers, I am now assuming were heavily modified with weld and with a different ball? They both look like the same forging otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

The welded up rocker arms and towers are typical of an original RAJO setup. The others appear to also be later replacement rocker arms most guys use to utilize a 5/16 pushrod. It appears the shorter towers and rocker arms were thrown together from a mix and match bunch of parts and not original to the RAJO head. Originally, the lash adjustment on the RAJO was present only on the upper portion of the pushrod as shown in your photos. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

Thanks MArk, I really appreciate the info. I just now see a crack in my welded rocker in the last pic here I will have to get fixed. Is it okay to use these welded as is, or better to replace them?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration