New radiator fitting problems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New radiator fitting problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 08:48 am:

At great cost to the management, I bought a new flat tube radiator for my Duncan and Fraser roadster. I opted for the more expensive one rather than the Berg's, not being particularly taken with their non factory looking top outlet.

While my almost AU$1600 purchase looks nice, I had problems with fitting it and was wondering if others had similar experiences.

The radiator shell would only go half way down the filler neck before the front of the shell wedged against the front panel on the radiator. I removed the shell from my tourer to see how it fitted, and it was no better. The only solution was to have the filler neck removed and shifted forward, by a little more than 1/4", at an additional cost of $50.

Original radiator caps would only screw onto the new neck less than one thread before binding. A dogbone cap I had would just screw on. That same cap was so worn, it dropped straight into an original neck. I replaced the new neck with a replated good original and all is now good.

The brass fitting into which the steady rod is threaded was skewed to the left and downwards. I managed to coax it into line with the rod, but it is under tension as the rod is wound in.

I emailed the works with details of the problems and was informed that the builders position the neck using an original shell and tack solder it in place before completing the job. Do US shells differ from Canadian ones? I was informed that they had been doing it this way for 40 years. I presume they meant that the many previous owners of the business had been doing it that way. I wonder if all are built this way, or just some of them as a quality control measure.

There was no acknowledgement of the other problems.

Today I picked up my log book, so tomorrow I can hit the road to test out the new car. Wish me luck.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration