Old Photo - Model T Era - Irvine California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Irvine California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 11:05 am:

Waiting for a terrific crash! Note the cars stopped on the train tracks? They have nowhere to go to get out of the way of a train.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 11:45 am:

Can't Fix Stupid !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Norm,

There only stopped because it's a still photo, not a motion picture. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

I guess traffic problems are not new in Irvine.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

Steve - You got THAT right! And Norm, I realize it's a "still photo". However, as Steve said, it's still stupid! (No pun intended).

It's very simple, you don't start across one railroad track, or a set of two or more railroad tracks, until "ALL" vehicles have completely crossed the track(s) and you can see a clear space on the other side of the track at least large enough for your vehicle to cross the track(s) and not have to stop until COMPLETELY clear of the tracks. Anything else is reckless, careless and "STUPID"!

Going back to the picture, if all had been using the safe procedure I just outlined, it would not ever have been possible to take a picture showing solid, bumper-to-bumper (if T's had bumpers) traffic across that set of RR tracks!

And such stupidity still exists today folks,....that's why there is a need to post signs that say,....."DO NOT STOP ON TRACKS" or words to that effect.

Sorry for the "rant", but this from a retired RR cop that has many times, helped the "M.E." (medical examiner or coroner) load dead bodies and or pieces of dead bodies into body bags and into the M.E. van at railroad crossings!

FWIW,.....harold

P.S. And by the way, it's always been a regulation for passenger-carrying vehicle drivers, especially school bus drivers, not to shift gears while crossing railroad tracks! And it's a darn good rule for all drivers (especially Model T drivers) to think about, and consider all the forum posts concerning planetary transmission problems such as slipping bands, cracked drums, etc, etc, etc.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Norm - I should also add that in your second post in this thread, you said it ALL, and said it much better than I did!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

Jay - Great picture, and thanks for all your "old photo" posts, and thanks especially for posting this one, and, sorry about the long-winded "rant", but I guess it's obvious that you really "hit a soft spot" with me on this one which I guess I took as an opportunity to "preach", but as is often said,....."if it saves one life", etc, etc, etc......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

Oops,....first line in my first post should have been directed to Dennis, not Norm,.....sorry.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

And for Harold's post about shifting on the tracks. This applies to any car. Once when driving a 38 Ford in Glendale, Ca. I tried to shift from first to second while on the track and it got stuck in both gears at the same time! Locked up the car and it wouldn't even move by me pushing. A motorcycle cop saw me and he actually got behind me and with his front wheel against my bumper with my wheels sliding, he got me off the track. I didn't think a motorcycle had that much power. In that case the shifting plate was worn and the shift lever slipped out of the low gear fork and pushed the syncromesh into second without shifting out of first.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Harold,

Your entire logic is based on the premise that idiots need to be saved from themselves.

Relax, and let Darwinism work its magic. Fewer idiots around to breed, fewer future idiots ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:01 am:

I've been by that location many times. Of course, now it's totally different, but back in the '60s it still looked pretty much the same. Hwy. 101 goes parallel to the tracks, and is now interstate 5.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:23 am:

Burger - Yeah, but one of those "idiots" might have a wife and one or more little guys with them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 01:44 am:

Harold,

Some things are beyond our control ....

If a person chooses to remain silent as their driver does stupid things, they
are complicit in the resultant eventuality.

Whaddyagonnadoo ???

The world has no shortage of humans. The loss of more idiots and bad choice
makers should be embraced, not fought.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:43 am:

When thought a fool is it better to remain silent or speak up and remove all doubt?? Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration