Speedster Information Needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speedster Information Needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

I am planning to build another speedster using a set of Rootlieb Speedster Kit fenders. After looking at the photos of the fenders I have to ask some questions from someone that has used the kit.
Is the kit hood the same length as a "Torpedo"?
I have to buy a new radiator for the project, what year would be best? If I purchased a new firewall what year would be best? Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

If I were to start a new speedster project, I would go for the 26-27 radiator. I have a Rootlieb speedster that I built back in 1976. It has the high rad. I did not run a hood on this car so I can't answer the hood length question. I did move the fire wall back about 1 inch to clear the Rajo head that I run on the car. My car was full fendered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Thomas: I was wanting to go with a brass radiator but I don't know a thing about the brass era cars. I see a lot of the speedster kits online and was hoping someone might be able to tell me about the hood and hood former.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Rootlieb could tell you about the hood and hood former.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:56 am:

Larry, the hood is a torpedo hood with louvers punched in it. It is 2" longer than a standard touring and roadster hood of 1909-1916 vintage. This puts the engine ahead of the firewall so no relief has to be cut to clear the cyl. head. It uses a 1911-14 hood former in front of a firewall made for the kit. A stock fire wall of 1911-1914 will have the hole for the steering gear placed to high, as the seating in the kit is in a much lower position and the column gets lowered to match. All the radiators are dimensionally the same (1909-1916) so any will work. You just need to decide what yr. you want it to be as it makes a difference with some small details and on the back side if it has a tube to carry wires for electric lights (1915-16) or tubing to connect hosing for gas lights (1909-14). Hope this helps.
Also on the fenders, on all 1909-1925 frames the front running board bracket stays where it is and the rear brackets move ahead till they are 17 3/8" center to center. Then the positioning and spacing is correct for the boards and fenders. On 1926-27 frames all the brackets, both body and r/b have to be relocated.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration