WHERE CAN I GO TO FIX A MODEL T IN NJ ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: WHERE CAN I GO TO FIX A MODEL T IN NJ ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

HELLO, CAN ANYONE HELP ME IF I WANT TO FIX A MODEL T . I LIVE IN NORTH/WEST NJ. I WOULD LIKE TO MEET/TALK WITH SOMEONE WHO IS KNOWLEDGEABLE IN RESTORATION FOR A MODEL T I MIGHT BE PURCHASING. I ALSO LIVE 10 MINUTES FROM PENNSYLVANIA AS WELL. ANY LOCAL GUYS OR CLUBS WOULD BE GREAT.
THANKS,
PAUL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

Both national clubs have chapters in NJ and PA. Start with these links and see if there's a club near you:

http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm

http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=15

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

I don't know if any are close to you, but here are some MTFCA & MTFCI chapters in PA & NJ. I would suggest contacting one of them and possibly joining one, or more. Chapters are an excellent source of help, comradery & fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Ya, like Steve said...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

Wow,
Thanks Steve And Jerry for the info.
It is greatly appreciated.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

Hey Paul, I live in Fredon Township looks like 30 minutes from you. What kind of T are you buying?
I am currently in the process of a full restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

You might talk to Mark Conforth in Lafayette. While his principal interest is period hot rods, he also works on brass era cars and has a few of his own, including a gorgeous 1909. He has done some work on my 1912 Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Gil I saw your Buick at Marks shop, what a beautiful car. Its a dark green correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Very deep blue, including the chassis, with French gray striping and wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Ora Landis, at Schwalm's Babbitted Bearings in Lancaster, Pa, runs a fantastic shop and could answer any questions you may have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:22 am:

Hey Doug and Gilbert,
Thanks for the help.
Doug, I am currently looking at a 1923 Doctors Coupe. Looks to be in good condition. Might need new/not bad upholstery, glass replacement and is not currently running. But rust free, good paint all in all looks pretty nice. I have never owned 1 so I am a little nervous.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:35 am:

Paul - check the wood in the body as much as you can - it's full of wood and it's a big job changing it out if any of it is bad. A suicide door body, I suppose? How does the doors fit? Any sagging might be a sign of deteriorating wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:46 am:

Ok, Will do.
Thanks Roger.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:50 am:

Helms Antique Auto in Milford, Pa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 08:39 am:

Another Dr's Coupe surfaces into the sunlight! :-)
Add 5k to the sales price....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 09:25 am:

Hi Michael,
Are the Doctors coupe getting harder to find??
Again, I am new to this. Not sure what to look for. He is asking $7,800. or Best offer.
Thanks for the info.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Thank you Jerry for the info. I will check out.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:06 am:

Paul,

Now that you're "inside" the Model T world, I'll explain the "inside joke" that Michael was alluding to. The term "Doctor's Coupe" is an often used term by those not realizing that Ford never used that terminology. It's become very popular vernacular on eBay especially. Just "Coupe" is usually sufficient. Don't feel bad about it, nobody was poking fun at you. Of course, if you happen to actually be a doctor then the joke is on us!

Happy touring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Aahh. Got it.
Learning more every day.
Again,
Thanks for all your help.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Hey Jerry,
I have seen a photo or 2 of a (Doctors) Haha Coupe with White Tires or White wall Tires.
Were they ever offered on them or just that Owners personnel Preference ?
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

From original photos it seems most T's during 1916-23 got tires with both sides white and the thread area black from the factory. Unfortunately tires with white sides aren't available in Model T clincher tire sizes currently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:26 am:

Thanks Roger for the help. I have seen a couple in the past with them and thought they looked nice.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:28 am:

Hey Doug,
I am currently still looking to buy my 1st Model T so as of right now I do not own one. But soon. I am just looking for someone who might be able to help me in the future,
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

Paul,
If there is a club near you, go visit them, even join. Then you can experience a model T without owning one, just in case you figure out it isn't your "cup 'o T" (pun intended!). And, the local club members would be most helpful in your acquisition search, steering you away from "bad deals" and towards "Good Deals" and maybe even the rare, occasional "Steal."
You'll find, in spite of a number of us being "GET OFF MY LAWN, KID!" types, we really are good folks that want to spread the T addiction! (and as you're already found out (Doctor's Coupe), we do like jokes!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 07:11 am:

David,
thank you for all the help and info. I am meeting so many great people. learning so much as well.

Cheers,
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Hi Paul,
I am a member of the North Jersey Tinker Ts.
We have a meeting coming up later this month. Message me if you would like some info.
Randy Glowacki, Parsippany, NJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Hello Randy,
Thank you for the Tip.
I work 2 jobs so it might be hard. What day is it?
Here is my phone number if you want to talk.
Cheers,
Paul
908 303 7291

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Paul consider the cost of restoration as well. Unless you plan on doing it all yourself you could find yourself with a $30k T that's worth $10k. Figure out what it needs done to it and what that will cost before you buy it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration