Looking for an old automobile 78 rpm record

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Looking for an old automobile 78 rpm record
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lauderback, Milwaukie Oregon on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Does anyone out there have a 78 rpm record by Billy Murray called "He'd Have to Get Under, Get Out and Get Under" ? I recently realized a longtime dream to get a Victor Talking Machine record player, and would like to have this record to play on it. I have a couple of others, such as "The Little Ford Rambled Right Along", and "Keep Away From The Fellow Who Owns An Automobile". I like to display this with my 1915 Touring. Any help finding this record would be appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Also get some Will Denny songs. "You'll have together off and walk"is similar. Another funny is "I Couldn't "where he is trying to beg forgiveness for coming home trashed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBRzUzJErL8 if you want to hear it. The records are usually available on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

I collect 78 rpm records and go to a lot of estate sales and but I have never come across the Victor recording of "He'd Have to Get Under." I do have other automobiles songs in my collection.

However, the sheet music for that song is very easy to find and there are always listings for it on eBay. My dad has had multiple copies over the years (he collects automobile sheet music).

You may want consider displaying the sheet music - it's a little sexier than the record. Many copies available on eBay (scroll down once the page opens to see the earlier versions with the illustration on the cover):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=he+had+to+get+under+sheet+music&_osacat=0&_ from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X%22he%27d+have+to+get+under%22 .TRS0&_nkw=%22he%27d+have+to+get+under%22&_sacat=0

(There is currently a recording of that song on eBay but it is a later version from the 1930s by the Hoosier Hot Shots on the Vocalion label).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

I have the piano roll and have searched for the record for many years without success. I do not know who's label it was issued under but the sheet music lists the piano roll as a QRS roll and says it is also available in record form so I know they are out there somewhere

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

No help finding the phonograph record, but here is a picture of the label. That may make it easier to find.

victor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

https://archive.org/details/HedHaveToGetUnderGetOutAndGetUnder

http://www.rootsvinylguide.com/ebay_items/victor-17491-billy-murray-he-d-have-to -get-under-ada-jones-10-78-record

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

If I were still actively collecting 78s, I would love eBad for them. I started collecting 78s when I was in high school, because I loved the music. I have over 2000 of them, however, most have been packed away for a long time now. I have about a dozen cassette tapes I copied from the 78s that I still listen to and enjoy. Wonderful music is always wonderful!
I particularly like the comedy songs and skits from Vaudeville. Billy Murray is one of my favorites among many. He did so many wonderful and funny songs! (You should listen to "Keep your Skirts down, Mary Ann"!)
Another good one is the Uncle Josh series. My favorite is "Uncle Josh Buys an Automobile". I laughed all through it! Several times!
The nice thing about eBad with the record collecting is that you can find the specific records you want without hauling home a hundred others. I used to sort through huge stacks and bookcases full of records to find a few I was interested in. And many of the best ones I got were unknowns that I took a chance on based solely on the label. Rarely did I find specifics I was looking for.
I have bought several records through eBad, mostly Jimmie Rodgers, because in thirty years of collecting I never managed to find even one in an antique store. I now have several.

Displaying rare records with your car is risky. 78s are very fragile, break easily, and can be ruined by a more-than-warm day. I usually only displayed the phonograph along with common and not very desirable records (often ones that were worn beyond sounding good). If I wanted to listen to the best music? I played a tape on a hidden tape player.

For terrific music, Al Jolson is a favorite. And one of the best display records of all time is also his. For some reason, probably because it was so incredible a record, Al Jolson's "Rainbow Around My Shoulder", flip side "Sonny Boy" is extremely desirable. Also extremely common. Nearly mint like new copies are readily available, and worn out copies also show up often. Every collector that wants one that I ever met had at least two copies, one like new, one worn. Some collectors, have several nice copies. Collectors that know? Do not pay much for them. But the worn copy sure looks impressive on the display at a car show.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

OT___Reminds me of all those stacks and stacks of old 78 records I use to see used at the local fair.

A guy would line them up next to the milk bottles along the midway and you'd pay a nickel to knock over the milk bottles and then bust the 78 record next to it! You might a good sized teddy bear if you knocked over at least 3. You got 5 tries for a Nickel.

Yes I know its OT but a lot of good 78's were lost that way. Probably some of the above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

Maybe check with these folks?

http://www.78rpmcommunity.com/beta/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

When I was a young man I played the banjo for tourists on the New Hope & Ivyland Railroad. That was one of the songs I would sing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:14 am:

"Get out and get under" was also sold as a phonograph cylinder, but then you'll have to get you another machine.. :-)

Other great period records are "The little Ford rambled right along" by Billy Murray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUzxcApgdUc

and "On the Dixie Beeline" by Uncle Dave Macon - or the cover by Vernon Dalhart recorded just months after Uncle Dave's original:
http://honkingduck.com/mc/content/dixie-bee-line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6-CjhKknYs

Uncle Dave Macon: On the Dixie Bee Line (1926)
(It was a road, part of the then new Dixie Highway from Louisville, KY to Nashville, TN)

Hello, folks, it won't do to be without hope. Now, I never had hoped to get another good drink of good red liquor, but yesterday evening I played a few pieces and two gentlemen invited me up to their room, opened up a box, said, "Uncle Dave, here's water and glasses and sugar and lemon and everything. Now, what'll you have first?"
I said, "Give me that largest glass." I poured her out half full and begin to stir it with a spoon.
He said, "Now, what next?"
I said, "A little water to make her weak."
"What next?"
I says, "A little sugar to make her sweet."
He said, "What next?"
I says, "Put in a little lemon, now, to make her sour."
"Now, what next?"
"Now," I says, "pour her up brim full to give her the power."

1. Some folks says that a Ford won't run,
Just let me tell you what a Henry done:
She left Louisville about half past one,
Oh, she got into Nashville at the settin' of the sun.

CHORUS:
On the Dixie, on the Dixie Bee Line,
Going to rise and shine, I'm going to stay up to time,
Rise and shine, I'm gwine to keep up to time,
When I ride in that Henry of mine.

2. Henry Ford wants a Muscle Shoals
To bring to the people of the South pure gold.
"Let him have it," says, "Oh, my Lord,
We'll all ride to heaven in a Henry Ford."
CHORUS;

3. That old Buick, said she treated me mean,
Took all my money for to buy gasoline,
She may be warm, but I don't know,
But a Buick won't come where a Henry will go.
CHORUS:

4. Went to the mountain for to get some booze,
A Henry Ford car was the one I choose,
The officers got right on me, I say,
I pulled her wide open and made my getaway.
CHORUS;

5. Everybody knows the Henry Ford car,
Everybody knows they's the best they are,
You wanta take a ride, just get in a Ford,
And set the lever down, say "Oh, my Lord."
CHORUS;

According to a rumour in this article: http://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/RmOlSngs/RTOS-DixieBeeLine.html Uncle Dave was given a new Ford car after Henry himself had seen the sheet music.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

Wayne, we haven't ever talked phonographs!! How did that happen?
I was at a yard sale this weekend, there was a stack of record boxes, the ones that records were shipped to the music stores, about 15 pounds worth--I still haven't gone through them--$5. Like I needed more records, but these were all 78s, sooo. . . I also bought a oscillating spindle sander there, that should make doing the wood for Barney a little easier. At another yard sale I picked up some (33-1/3) Hawaiian music and an early "Alvin & the Chipmunks" sign-along record (for the novelty of it). Linda pawed through the boxes in that same closet and came up with a mint copy of "Swayne Lumber Company" book--it's an #80-$200 book, depending on condition and location-paid $1. Now it was the third day of the sale and Linda found it after I went through that box!!!
I know, I'm a lucky guy having Linda. (and yes, we know there's a song "all about Linda").

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Roger do you know if the cylinder was a 2 minute or 4 minute cylinder?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:46 am:

I forgot to mention, one of my favorite novelty songs from the early period is "I'm a Bum!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

Another must have, is "Uncle Josh Buys an Automobile" by Cal Stewart. It's not a song, but it sure is funny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 12:04 am:

Val - "He'd have to get under" by Billy Murray was issued on Edison Blue Amberol #2194 in 1914: http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/search.php?queryType=@attr+1=1020&num=1&start=1&query=cylinder0330

(Message edited by Roger K on September 12, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 02:11 am:

CAL STEWART!!!! That was his name! Thank you Eric H!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Thanks Roger. I'd have to buy another machine too as mine will not play the blue amberol cylinders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

I would be happy to send you a copy. Provide an address. Ed Emerson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodney Gifford on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Roger K,
Cool song. I am from the Muscle Shoals area and Henry wanted to buy Wilson Dam from TVA to power a new Ford Plant here in NW Alabama. We have several streets named for the same ones as Detroit...Woodard Ave....Avalon, John R....Michigan and the list goes on. There were sidewalks built and lots sold that still sit empty because the Govt didn't sell. Thank God! If yall want to hear some great music that came out the Shoals Area, check the documentary called "Muscle Shoals" Great music!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

another good one......."i was looking back to see"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

another good one........"i was looking back to see"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Model T's aren't the only affliction which can get out of control. Records are another. In 1957 my uncle, who farmed east of Clearwater, Kansas, inherited a house with indoor plumbing. He decided to move and tear his old house down. My aunt called and asked if I would like the old Victrola that was in the attic of the old house. Two hours later I was in Kansas, loading the Victrola in the back seat of my 1951 Ford convertible. Sixty years later, the record stash has grown to about 10,000, and the Victrola has multiplied thirty times. There are ten machines which play cylinders, including two three minute Columbias for which I have never found a record. After three cardiac arrests, two heart surgeries and a stroke, I am trying to make myself start getting rid of things. I will probably do this very gradually, but my first step has been to gift Ken the record he is looking for. If he has not located a copy, I hope he will contact me. Also some time back, there was a forum member who was looking for a portable machine to display with his car. If he is still looking I would like to offer him a Pretty Polly Portable, This machine would travel nicely in a model T, since it has an all metal case and only measures about ten inches square by one and a half inches deep Ed

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration