Radiator serial number

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Radiator serial number
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

Hello,

I think I am in the market for a new radiator. When it is particularly hot out, as it has been most of this summer, the car sometimes over heats. It doesn't overheat if I just doodle around, but if I do a 10 mile or more run sustained over 35 it will be steaming when I come to a stop.

I have checked ignition and mixture and they seem correct. I don't have any brake or band drag. I filled the block and radiator with white vinegar and let it sit for about a week, then flushed everything.

With a good radiator I would expect better cooling with vehicle speed, not worse...

So if I buy a new radiator from Brassworks, what number should I have them stamp on the tag? I know it wasn't the engine serial, and most images I have found of what were claimed to be original 14 rads were 7 digit numbers starting with a 1. Any expertise?

Thanks,
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

What number is on your radiator now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:09 am:

I've got the original radiator for my '13, and the number is almost 20,000 higher than the engine number, and even higher than the serial number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 05:57 am:

Hey, Joe

My March 1914 Touring has it's original radiator and the serial number is 1279934. I had it re-cored by Tom's Radiator Service in Kansas about a year ago but she still runs a little hot in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 09:51 am:

My engine number is 212526, and the radiator number is 231500, in a 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

My engine number is 535618, and the number on the radiator which I believe is not a repo, but I do not know if it is original to this car is 46093. That number is lower than what I would expect from reading other posts...

I would like an approximately correct number. I have seen about 20,000 over engine number, and 7 digits starting with a 1 for 1914 rads... Any experts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 05:43 am:

Joe, my '14 engine number is 495181 and my radiator number 1279934 if that helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 11:37 am:

My 15 is engine 679,233 and the radiator is 689,800. My 13 touring has engine number 299,995 and the radiator is 315,589. Both cars have their original radiators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

I still have the original radiator from my '14. The serial number is about 25,000 higher than the engine serial number. I plan to have it recored so I can put it back on the car. I'm not impressed with the beautiful, but leaky Brassworks radiator that I put on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

As far as I can tell, there is no relationship between the radiator number and the ship numbers.

My car number: 409023
Engine/serial: 346779
Radiator number: 0722640

I was told when I bought my '14 that it was mostly original so I assume the radiator came with the car. I had it re-cored with the oblong tubes, more tubes, and the fins have louvers on them for more surface area. My radiator man (Frank Dent in Ross, Ohio) told me that it was plenty of radiator for that little 4 cylinder. It looked kind of rough when it came back from the shop.

But it cleaned up OK.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration