Brass Radiator Re-core

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brass Radiator Re-core
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

I have an original brass radiator that I'd like to have re-cored. I'm in northern Alabama, does anyone have any recommendations on who could do that and is roughly in my area? Would like to go with a flat tube core.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:10 am:

A well known T man I know just had his recored. I don't like the job they did at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:21 am:

Fifty years ago there were radiator shops even in small towns. Not so now. I think there are probably whole states without one competent radiator repair outfit. I'll be very surprised if your recore doesn't require shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:26 am:

I just had my brass rad re cored by a local guy and I think he did a pretty good job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 01:19 am:

Seth there is a place that reworked a K radiator, very difficult, but it turned out nice. I can't find the picture of it but Rob Hyen is the person that I got the name from on the forum. This was done at Tom's radiator in Sabetha KS. I sent him an 11 radiator and I was pleased with the result. It was a flat tube core in place of the bad round tube where the fins had detached and it did not cool well. Now well it's just great. You need to put this next part in perspective, it cost $700 plus I think $60 - 70 shipping there and back. It sounds like a lot but a new one is about 1100 so pretty cheap. Mine still has the original serial number tag on it. Something that the two new ones I bought don't have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 03:36 am:

All radiators were brass until the aluminum and plastic tank ones came out.
There are several shops in my small town as well as the neighboring towns that have radiator repair shops and will do a T recore.
It is not that big of a deal.
Expect to pay about half the price of a new one.
I have not had a T recorded in about 10 years but I have had several A's and MG radiators recorded in the last three years.
Just had two done this summer. More rows of tubes too.
A lot better and cheaper than the junk from China.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 03:50 am:

All radiators were brass until the aluminum and plastic stuff came along.
I've had T radiators recoredo, cheap and good, but not in the last 8 or 10 years.
I have had my '51 Ford done this summer and a couple of A's and two MG radiators recorded this spring by local shops here in my town.
There are several shops in Oakland and surrounding smaller towns that have radiator shops that can do it.
A lot better and cheaper than the Chinese junk too.
I can get a new MG radiator cheaper than a recore but it will not have as many tubes as a recorded one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 06:11 am:

I gave up on radiator repair shops years ago and started doing my own. Clean,clean and clean again before soldering. My next repair will be my 14 Berg's radiator that is falling apart. I think it was the last brass one he made. I wasn't impressed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration