Needing help in the Denver, CO area

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Needing help in the Denver, CO area
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Kennedy on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Hello all,
Looking for someone to get the needle seat removed from my Holley G carb. I can't seem to get it out. I bought the modern style replacement ball setup to install.
Anyone??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Todd, When you say "I bought the modern style replacement ball setup to install", do mean you bought a "Grouse Jet" ball replacement to use in place of the original needle and seat on your carb.?

If so, I think you are making a mistake. I had a Grouse Jet in my Holley G carb. and it was a pain in the a**.

When used with 10% Ethanol gas, they often stick either open or closed. If stuck closed, your car won't start. If stuck open, gas will run out of the carb and it won't stop the flow like it's supposed to. If you use a Grouse Jet, the only way to prevent them from sticking is to drain the gas and run the carb. dry unless you'll be driving the car again in just a few days or less.

My advice is don't use a Grouse Jet. Original needle and seats are now being made by R.V. Anderson. They have to be polished, but work good.

I see you're in Colorado. If you need help with your carb., see Dave Huson. He is a really good Model T mechanic.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Kennedy on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Thanks Keith! This is what i have

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Hi Todd, I found that part in Lang's catalog. It looks like part # 6212 GJG. It claims to "eliminate sticking". I hope it works for you.

I wouldn't use it myself & prefer the original type needle and seat.

Just my opinion....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

Here is a plan, its worked for me for 50 years. I have never replaced a needle and seat on an NH or L4 carburetor.

Polish your existing needle with fine emery. Place it in the seat then kiss it with light hammer (Don't bash it!). It should be good to go.

It's worth a shot, the price is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 01:16 am:

Todd Kennedy: Are you in the Denver T Club. If not I can get you the address. We would like to have you come to the meetings. There is a world of good T Mechanics in the club.

RON JACKSON,. former president of the club is as good a T mechanic as there is. He is working on club members Ts constantly.

BILL WEISHAUPL; is a very good T mechanic and builds a super wood wheel.

RICK HOLDAWAY; has been in the club for ever and is a good mechanic.

JIM LIGHTFOOT; Turns out some really nice cars for customers, may have a problem with having many other customers right now.

RANDY WILLIAMS, Would be good one, I don't know how busy he is at the moment but you could try.

PAUL MEKESKA, Has some nice running cars and may be able to help you.

TOM NEUBERT, Is a mechanic at DIA Airport and is real good with Ts. He may be able to help you.

Tom Ohirogge: has built dome real nice Ts. You might try him but I am not sure his health will allow him to work on Ts anymore.

I am sure I missed many others that are good T mechanics and would be glad to help you.

Take Keith Gumbiner's advice and give it some consideration. I agree with him, I bought 10 GROSE JETS many years ago but heard so many bad things about them that I never used even one of them.

Again I think you might save your self a lot of grieve by joining the Denver club. If you need any information on the club or the T mechanics I have mentioned call me at 303-774-9246.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:59 am:

Dave Huson gives good advice! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Kennedy on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Hi Dave,
I am not in the club, but am wanting to join.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration