Anyone watch the mini series on TV on Harley-Davidson?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Anyone watch the mini series on TV on Harley-Davidson?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:20 am:

I watched all the episodes of "Harley and the Davidsons", this evening (about 6 hours, 5:00 pm to 11:00pm) on the Discovery channel and I highly recommend it. I don't know how historically accurate it was, but it was very well done and had a lot of vintage Harley-Davidson motorcycles and Model T Fordor sedans in it.

It did not portray the Indian Motorcycle Company or its' leadership in the best light, nor did it portray Edsel Ford or Ford motor Company in the best light either. Both were cast as villains in the docudrama. I believe there will be another showing tomorrow night (9/08/16). If you want to watch it, I would recommend clearing your schedule and watching the whole thing. It was on the Discovery Channel. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:52 am:

Watched the first night and have the rest recorded, but haven't watched them yet. Comes on too late. I'm an early riser and can't stay up that late. I'm still paying for staying up 'till 11 Monday night.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 09:28 am:

Some back ground on the film --

The Harley and the Davidsons six hours miniseries was filmed in Bucharest, Romania. Castel Film is providing services.

Perhaps most crucially for Harley & the Davidsons, Bucharest has a working velodrome. A velodrome is an oval track with steep banks on either side, still used in some cycling races (including those at the 2016 Rio Olympics). But back in the early 1900s, when a motorcycle was basically just a bicycle frame with a motor attached, the lines between the two were blurry enough that motorcycle races took place on the same types of tracks, with timber (often haphazardly) cobbled together to provide a flat surface to ride on.
http://www.gq.com/story/harley-and-the-davidsons-behind-the-scenes

If the film appears a bit slanted showing other companies in a bad light, a question on who provided funding could be asked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Recently I heard a radio interview with Robert Aramayo, who plays Bill Harley. He's from northern England, and sounds like it. But from the bit of dialog I heard from the movie, his American dialect is spot-on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 09:51 am:

Historical accuracy is always secondary to profit. If the general public doesn't care about the details then neither will the producer.

I saw a small snippet last night before leaving my son's house. I might watch it someday.

As far as Henry and Edsel cast as villains, I have a hard time seeing that, and for the record I do own a Harley and some other 2 wheelers. I see the Model T or some kind of low cost automobile as having been an inevitability given the size of the market in the United States. So motorcycles in my mind were always destined to become a recreational/sporting consumer good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:14 am:

We've been discussing it for several days Jim. Click here:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/673999.html?1473304339

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

Thank you Royce. I checked the schedule of Comcast Cablevision (which is what I have) and it will be shown again on Saturday September 10 starting at 9:00am and running until 3:00pm.

In the first two episodes, virtually everyone drove a Model T, but in the last episode, after they had the trouble with Ford, I noticed that Walter Davidson was driving a Chevrolet. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

Just found this online: https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2016/09/01/alex-wheeler-bike-builder-from-ha rley-and-the-davidsons-answers-some-of-our-questions-about-the-miniseries/

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Someone mentioned 'funding' to cause a portrayal slant. Since there were both Indian and Harley commercials about their new-model bikes, could be cause to question that. My wife did complain about "Too many commercials too often... too short of programming content between all those commercials!"
Also noticed a late-30's squad car in the background when it was supposed to be "1931". Anyone else notice? If it was filmed in Romania, I am surprised about the number of American cars.
Think we'll find the series on DVD?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration