OT: Old Phonographs - parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT: Old Phonographs - parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 05:57 am:

I have a Victrola and don't need parts. A co-worker just bought a Victrola and is asking me where's a good place for parts. He's looking for a needle to start with.

I know some of you work on these things. Who are your parts sources? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 06:01 am:

"A needle"? :-) He's supposed to change needle after each side played, so he'll need a bunch.
They're available: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300-SOFT-TONE-VICTROLA-NEEDLES-Phonograph-Gramophone-Vic trola-78RPM-Records-/381743165725

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 06:20 am:

Thanks Roger!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:36 am:

Try both the loud and soft needles as it makes a difference in tone quality depending on the record wear and use. The loud needles are generally 5-10 dba louder. Over the years I have collected and rebuilt 38 hand crank players from tiny hand held units to some hearty solid wood Sonora units. Found a deal years ago and bought 10,000 needles for really cheap! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:42 am:

PS- If you need new springs or gaskets try out.....
Antique phono.com
The gaskets get hard and brittle over time and a new set installed makes a huge difference in sound quality says a guy who ears hearing aids!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:50 am:

I hear you on the hearing aids. Thanks for the advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Tom,

Here's the brand I bought last. Very good quality.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-NEW-PHONOGRAPH-NEEDLES-VICTOR-VICTROLA-3-99/32192718 6155?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao %3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D904f32c9c7f0423fab9d40a8a7b88df9%26pid%3D100005%26rk %3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D232054478742

You might also direct your friend here:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:43 am:

As for parts, there's a few sources. I like Ron Sitko in New York.

His contact info, and tons of others, is here:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=195

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:45 am:

He can also contact me I guess. I've got some parts and can do some repairs as well, though my time is a bit limited, (like everyone's I guess).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:48 am:

YOU GO OUT INTO THE DESERT AND FIND A GREAT LOOKING CACTUS.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Thanks Jerry. I'll ask him what kind of help he needs and I'll get the two of you together via PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Alan,

No need to wander into the desert...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

I have a special cutter that looks like a lopsided pair of fingernail clippers made to cut a angled tip into bamboo strips to use as phonograph needles. Works well depending on the moisture content of the bamboo and sounds mellow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Jerry, How many cactus thorns for .35 cents? Pretty expensive considering that in the 1920's the steel phonograph needles sold for less than 1 cent a piece. Labor out in the desert can be expensive!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Michael,

I don't really know how many were in a pack. I have a few such packs but never really checked it out. I'm guessing at least 25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Isn't the base of knowledge on here amazing? For my maternal grandparents Graphonola Favorite, I use bamboo. I have the plyer-like cutters that trims the needle.Not loud, but easy on records. I sold/traded away my Edison cylinder machines.Wish now I hadn't done that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

Jim, If it can be taken apart and fixed with hand tools someone here knows how to do it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

You might try Wyatts Musical Americana -they have about anything you might need -Great People - been in business for many years
www.wyattsmusical.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration