Mystery extensions on frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Mystery extensions on frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leroy Moser on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

I recently bought a '22-'25 T frame just because it has these unusual bolt-on pieces. They appear to be factory-made (but not necessarily by FoMoCo). My online searching yielded no results.

Anybody know what they were used for? A fellow T-er who built a pickup says his box ends where the regular frame does, so that removes one guess. I recall seeing a long-ago classified ad for a long box T pickup, but this was prior to the Internet, so can't follow up on that angle.

My plan is to use it as a trunk or bicycle carrier (yes, really!) At the moment my "trunk" is a large Rubbermaid storage box in the back seat area of my '19 touring. The bicycle? Well, the rural road alongside where we live has too much gravel to comfortably or safely ride a bike (doesn't do my ancient Ford any favours, either!). I therefore need to chug into the ungravelled boonies to go bicycling. The old T-bird is just as good a way as any for hauling the bicycle a few miles to reach a dirt road.

Leroy Moser, 1919 touring with hydrostatic drive.

Frame extension 1Frame extension 2Frame extension 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

From a cut-off spare tire carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

Elaborate on the hydrostatic drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leroy Moser on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Thanks very much, Jerry VanOoteghem. I hadn't considered the possibility that these parts were modified.
Gary Schreiber: You can get the hydrostatic story from my December 17, 2015 post called, "I appreciate the things I learned in the forums. December 17".

The "T" drives well enough that I use it almost every day that weather permits ... our dog Bella sees to that! About a month ago, I made trips to all the nearby small towns where I hang out. Ran 90 km one day, then 60 km the next. No trouble enroute ... the only times I had to stop on the road was when curious motorists flagged me down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leroy Moser on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

I took a few pictures showing my Oddi-T as of Sept 8/16. The underhood photos may be a bit hard to follow, as components are tightly clustered. The yellow arrow in the hydraulic motor picture shows how the whole thing connects to the stock "T" rear axle through a flexible connection. What's not shown in that photo is the disc brake rotor inside the hogshead. That's what the brake pedal will connect to. Don't need it for routine driving, as the hydro has very good stopping power ... probably about as good as the factory foot brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Thanks for the added pictures and yes I do remember that thread from 2015

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

WOW! I'll ask a question that many T drivers get asked, how fast will it go?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leroy Moser on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

Jerry VanOoteghem: How fast?

Not very! It can reach a consistent 32 km/h on gravel. Would go faster on pavement, but it's too slow for safe travel alongside people doing 100 km/h or faster.

Actually, I find that 32 is quite fast enough on gravel ... the whippy steering on these cars makes for a need to steer it 100% of the time, anyway. The steering is rebuilt all the way through; I hate to imagine how it would drive with the usual worn out components :<(

This coming winter I intend to buy more sheet metal so that my beloved old-timer will look less like a mechanical cockroach. I held off on purchases when our dollar sank to only 72 cents US. 'Tis a bit more favourable now, so I'll get fenders, running boards, splash shields and the like before driving season 2017.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Your whippy steering is due to the fact that your caster angle is reversed, which I can see in your photo. Take a close up photo of your spring perches and let us have a look. Model T steering should never be whippy and driving it like that on gravel is especially scary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leroy Moser on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Jerry VanOoteghem : Wow! Good catch! You are right about the reversed axle.

I don't know how I missed this; especially as I am aware such an error is possible on a "T".

Thank you SO much. I'll fix this issue when the car is laid up for the winter. It doesn't steer all THAT badly ... probably because most replaceable parts except the shackles were replaced.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration