Wheeling truing help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wheeling truing help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard H. Ressijac on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

I am new to the world of Model T's, and have owned a Model A for several years.

In May I brought a 1923 Touring Car, good condition, and running well after a tune-up, the car had been parked for 5 years.

I am slowly going through the car front to rear. I pulled the front hubs to check the bearings and once cleaned I noted the the outside races where spinning freely in the hubs and bearing worn on both sides. I was able to get NOS hubs from Lang's (check for true before installing) and replace them on both front wooden wheels with new races and bearings.

I now have a front right wheel that is 3/8" out of true. Is there any fix to true this wheel, and what did I do wrong when I changed the hubs that caused this wheel to be out of true (trying to learn and not make the same mistake twice).

Thanks for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

Richard, I have loosened the hub nuts up and rocked and pushed and pulled the outside of the tire at various points. Retorque evenly. Might work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

And, while 3/8" of wobble seems like a lot, if it does not shimmy I would not get excited. When you set the toe-in, try to average it so you have, say, 0--3/8" toe in. If you have too much toe-in, steering will be very quickly and touchy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Richard,

When you say the "wheel" is 3/8" out of true, do you actually mean the wheel itself, as in when measured at the felloe, or is it at the rim or even the tire that you see the runout? If it's more the latter, consider that your rim may be bent or that it may be mounted cocked on the felloe. If you didn't tighten the 4 rim nuts evenly it's possible that you induced the wobble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

I guess I pre-supposed he would not get his rim on crooked, and had no wobble previously. So what Jerry said, too. Jerry, do you know Art Simpson? Lives east of Cold water a ways. Forget the town he is near.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard H. Ressijac on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Wheel truing

I hope this picture helps. I removed the wheel and am checking the measurement at the metal rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard H. Ressijac on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I hope you can see by these pictures where I am measuring from.

There is a shimmy when I drive, and people are always flagging me down to point out the wheel.

I want to thank you all for your help! I am happy I joined the MTFCA and found this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard H. Ressijac on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Hi Jim,
What do you torque the bolts to?
RIck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

I have rarely used a torque wrench on T, I just get things tight, and even. On the inside edge of the hub, IIRC, there is a little chamfer.I wonder if maybe you did not get the spokes evenly up tight against that.I never looked forward to changing hubs. PIA. But, might be time to start over again. Something crooked somewhere.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration