Old Photo T in deep snow

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo T in deep snow
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

I wonder what they used to plow that deep of snow in those days?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Two things;
1. Sure doesn't look like a T!! Not that it really matters.
2. Given the big telegraph lines, that is quite possibly a railway track. The tracks are quite possibly under the latest snow fall. The railways had some serious BIG snow blowers that could easily accomplish that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

not t i think 28 whippet . charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

I think not a T. (Neither in the picture nor to plow the road.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Probably a bunch of guys with shovels or a TT with a plow on it...but I'm not sure that's a T in the picture though...the shell looks wrong...looks kinda like a Chevy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Railroad snow blower:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

with a V plow on a heavy truck! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

OK OK old car in deep snow. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

On Armistice day 1940 there was a blizzard that hit from the Dakotas, through Minnesota and Wisconsin and into Michigan. Because it was early in the year and because the day started off at around 60 degrees F, people were out and about and unprepared for it. Therefore several died in duck blinds, in cars on the highways and in several other situations. My Dad had two cousins freeze to death by Sauk Centre, MN. There are several photos of vehicles that were taken after the blizzard like the one above. The book "All Hell Broke Loose" is a good depiction of that storm.

I'm sure several people on this forum from Minnesota can speak to some of the blizzards from the early 1980's and from just a couple years ago that created these conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

Photos from the book:

The last photo is of duck hunters that passed during the Armistice Day Storm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

Hi in the snow country.
re the Big Silver railroad machine.
Other than those rotor blades going around. could someone with snow clearing knowledge explain the
operation and speed of the cutters and or blower.
There seems to be two rows of blades in the photo,
may be contra rotating in action. Thanks
Take care, ... Neil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:03 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmRYCQgzwpE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:10 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuX4G3znpDE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:44 am:

Yes, the blade is reversible, but mostly to unclog itself. Note the chute opening at the top--the blade needs to be spinning to throw the snow out that chute. Most of these had extensions on the chute to direct the snow in the direction wanted.
Up in N. California, back in the 60s the McCloud River Railroad was snowed in. The SP loaned their last steam powered rotary snowplow to them to clear the line. I remember seeing it steamed up in the Dunsmuir yards on my way to school, but no one at school would believe me that there was live steam on the tracks (steam locomotive having been gone about 10 years by then). Anyway, back to the story; one line was parallel to houses across the street. When they first started clearing that track they started shattering windows in the houses clear across the street with the thrown snow! Had to adjust the "exhaust" chutes to not throw so far!
When they were done, the SP offered to give it to them, but they turned them down (would have been great to couple it up with their then still active steamer, #25). It was sent to the SP shops and converted to all electric operation, like the rest of their rotaries.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration