New 21" tires- Goodyear vs Firestone

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New 21" tires- Goodyear vs Firestone
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

There have been a lot of discussions about tires here but very little has been said about the 'Made in USA' Goodyear and Firestone 21" tires.
I have always liked Goodyear tires so I bought a set for my 26 Tudor.
The Firestone is the spare on my son's roadster.
Both tires were inflated to 27 psi and both have zero miles on them.
As you can see the Firestone is a lot larger.

The Firestone has a dia. of 30-9/16"
The Goodyear dia. is 29-25/32"
If my calculations are correct the Firestone will go 2.45 inches farther in one revolution than the Goodyear.
I'm glad I was talked out of using a 10 tooth pinion in the rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 08:50 am:

The Goodyear tire is a nominal size tire, made the correct size. I like the way they look on the car better than the oversize Firestone tires.

You may find that with a car full of people the Firestone oversize tires rub on the rear fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:18 am:

My T has Firestones. It came with a brand new unrun set which was a major reason why I paid what I did for it. There have been no problems with them so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Those Firestones could cause real problems. If you find yourself cruising the interstate and passing everyone, you might consider an inaccurate speedometer reading due to oversize tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Are either one really made in the USA?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Both are - clinchers are imported.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 11:57 am:

My choice would not be brand or how tall they sit but how much tread is in contact with the road. While I realize that the tires as shown are not under load, the taller one looks like it might have more road contact surface then the the shorter one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

The Good Year has a better tread pattern for holding the road.
The Firestones always look good but they are a real beet have to mount.
Area of contact does nothing for road holding.
As the contact area gets smaller the pressure per square inch of contact goes up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

I does for stopping. I don't understand how not having more tire in contact with the road would be not important for traction compared to less for traction and road gripping.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration