No buzzzz

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: No buzzzz
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Harris on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

Hello,

Thanks in advance for your help. I have been trying to get the electrical system working in my 1926 T and I'm having a hard time. currently I have juice from a test light at all four coils and 3 spark plugs but I can't get it to buzz. I have rebuilt coil box and checked all connections. any advice?

Thanks again,
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:32 am:

Current goes from the battery, through the coils, and to the timer. The buzz happens when contacts in the timer complete the circuit. Without the timer grounding the circuit, no buzz. Have you checked it?

If you haven't already, I would suggest getting The Electrical System. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Harris on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:37 am:

Thanks for your help

I had the wires crossed now I have it going but only on 3 cylinders. I can't get the first cylinder to fire. I still have juice at coil but not outside of box. I'm thinking timer?

Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:41 am:

Rick-there needs to be about 30thousandths gap between the points on each coil. No gap, no buzz even if you do have power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Harris on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:44 am:

Thanks - I will check that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:09 am:

When you turn the key to "BAT" it applies 12 volts to the strip of metal at the bottom of the coil box. The timer applies a ground to the upper coil contact for each coil at the appropriate time as the engine rotates.

You can easily check this by using a jumper wire attached to ground. With the key on "BAT" you can use the jumper to apply a ground to each of the four coils.

If each coil buzzes in this manner, then you have either a timer issue or a broken wire or bad connection in the timer wiring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Harris on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Thanks Royce that is helpful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Easiest to swap 2 coils over. The non-firing one and another. If it fails to fire on the same cylinder, it's the timer or wiring; if the fault moves with the coil there's your answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 11:20 am:

What Royce said, "12 volts" applies if you are using a 12 volt battery. The stock T battery is 6 volts.

With the coils in, with the key on, try grounding the top connection on the coil box. The corresponding coil should buzz and make a spark at the spark plug. If it does not buzz your trouble is in either the coil box or the coil. If it does buzz, the trouble is in either the timer or the wire between the coil box and the timer.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 11:21 am:

I will also add, the key on to Batt. If you turn the key to magneto, the coils will not buzz unless the engine is cranked very fast or the engine is running.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration