Picture of a T with an interesting story

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Picture of a T with an interesting story
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:52 am:

I live in a house in SW Connecticut that was built in the mid-20's. Several years ago, I met a family standing outside looking at my house. I said hello, and found out that the older gentleman (Frank H.) with them lived here when he was young. I think that his parents were the first owners. He's been living in Hawaii for most of his life now, but has sent me some fantastic pictures of my house and neighborhood throughout the years. One in particular blew my mind.

In this picture, is a Model T in front of the garage I still use. Frank father's T (he said it was a 1927) is parked only a few feet behind where my Model T was sitting inside that garage - when I received the photo.

The photo is taken looking south from the Connecticut coastline towards Long Island (about 30 miles from NYC). The big blank sky isn't actually blank. Frank pointed out that in this picture is a German Zeppelin flying overhead. You can definitely see it above the T and about midway top to bottom in the sky. A very interesting moment in history. I think it would have had to be the Hindenburg or the Graf Zeppelin. I'm not sure if this is the fateful day in May, 1937. Frank graduated High School that spring (from the same school my kid's attend). Overall lots of stuff going on, but I thought that the forum might find this an interesting photo of a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 08:15 am:

That is a great story and picture. History of things we own is pretty special.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 08:39 am:

Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing, and mentioning the Zeppelin. Would never have noticed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 08:51 am:

Doubt I would have noticed if Frank hadn't mentioned it himself. I'll add that Frank is still alive and well in Honolulu. Built a large architecture firm there and I'm told gives walking tours of the architecture of Honolulu sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Charlie,
You didn't say, but I hope you gave him a tour of the house. And did he know you had a Model T (assuming you had it at the time?).
You could take a picture of your T in the same spot--you'd have to photoshop in the Zeppelin though! Speaking of photoshop, are you able to bring out the Zeppelin by enhancing the photo? On my computer it just looks like a dirt spot or a shadow, but with imagination I can see it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Great story, thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

Very cool ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Incredible! (Actually, quite credible, and very wonderful!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 05:52 am:

I came in this morning and checked e-mail. My friend Jim sent his thoughts on this photo:

"My guess it’s the Graf Zeppelin. Guess on the date would be May or August 1929. It came to Lakehurst October 1928, May 1929 and August 1929. I’m seeing leaves on the trees but not on the ground (October 1928). Picture is pretty grainy which is either from the picture being shot before 1931-32 or it has been enlarged.

Hindenburg’s first flight to Lakehurst was in 1936. There were advances in photographic film in 1931 when Kodak came out with Versachrome for the 120 format cameras (2” X3” photos) which reduced the grainy resolution of film when enlargements were blown up larger than 2X3. Prior to Versachrome about the only way you could get a higher resolution was to go with a commercial 8X10 format professional camera.

Jim H."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

Tom and Jim -

Thanks a lot. I've now forwarded your comments to Frank in Hawaii who was the kid who grew up in my house and who's father took the photo. I'm not sure if he'll have any additional thoughts, but know he will appreciate it.

Charlie

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration