Flywheel Bolt Tool?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Flywheel Bolt Tool?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 08:53 am:

What are you guys using to tighten the flywheel bolts? I can't get a socket or a wrench to fit properly. The rear main cap is in the way...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:06 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/597133.html?1451233534

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/454254.html?1403448812

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:51 am:

I have a 3/8" drive Craftsman socket that I customized for this job. I copied it off the one they use at the local museum.

I faced off the hex end in a lathe. I removed all of the lead-in chamfer so it's shorter but still covers the bolt head. The back side where the square drive goes is radiused to clear the cap. It works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:31 am:

If my digital camera wasn't in the shop for repair I'd post a picture. I have an original 5-Z-210, but it's too worn to grab the bolts well. So I made my own by bending an 11/16" combination wrench with the same 2" offset, then jammed the box end into a two-foot piece of 1" square tubing for a handle. It works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Somebody repairs digital cameras??!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Camera Works, Wichita. The guy is semi-retired and takes his time, so I'm getting a spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Tim,

I believe Trent Boggess just listed one of the 3-Z-1179 wrenches on the classifieds. It's exactly the same as the 5-Z-210.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Another option is called a "crowfoot" socket. Essentially it is a heavy open end wrench that fits to a 3/8" drive. I have a set from 3/8-1" and every so often one comes in really handy!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Use a 1/2 breaker bar and socket. It works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 08:14 am:

I was able to use a crows foot and breaker bar. It's interesting though because I was able to use a socket on my 25 coupe and it appears others have done his also. Maybe there were different types of rear main caps produced?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Breaker bar and socket. Turning the crank to the correct position helps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration