Rant toward Mac's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rant toward Mac's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 11:47 am:

I can't believe the poor service and attitude from Mac's.

I ordered some parts on August 14 and they said everything was in stock.When they emailed me the order confirmation a few of them were back ordered. Today I got the almost last part. I say almost last because one item still hasn't been shipped. The surprising thing is that it has been shown as available on the original Aug 15 email and 6 others up to and including the last one on Sept 9.

In the meantime I have ordered Model A parts from Snyders and Model T parts from Langs and received them within a week.

To top things off I called Mac's today and they said that the part has been allocated to me and will be shipped in a few days. When I asked to talk to a supervisor I was put on hold for about 10 minutes before being connected to someone's email.

Mac's NEVER again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Obviously they satisfy some people or they wouldn't still be there. But I first dealt with them in the snail mail days of the last century and swore off. There are too many good dealers for me to waste my time. I always kept their catalogue for the pictures, but now that Don Lang is using Martin's drawings in his catalogue I don't even have to do that. I expect his next issue will have a lot more of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Better be careful, Fred. Last time I badmouthed Mac's I got a personal phone fall from a club official who gave me a really hard time. Funny how I forgot to renew my membership after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

Apparently they are geared more to the modern stuff. I have heard from an acquaintance they are great with his 60's era needs. 35-40 years ago, I swore by them. Great source of used parts then. Early type wishbones $20. Driveshaft tubes, which were scarce in my corner of the world $10 for 21-7 type.Plus,I sold and shipped him some NOS stuff that was excess to my needs, and he paid well. Them was the days, as one of my old man friends would say. Times change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

I've had good luck with Lang's and Schneider's. (knock, knock)! All has been good, except for MY screwups! (just ordered over-size transmission brake/reverse shafts, without checking first to see if I needed them!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

What I have ordered has been timely and satisfactory and I do like the articles they publish about unique cars that have been restored. No problem here, but I haven't bought a lot either. Allen Brintnall, So. W. Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

They go to where the money is. These days its in the classic car era. Just the way it is.

There is more overall interest in the 50's thru 70's era cars. Anybody watch TV lately? There are several that's on and they are pretty popular.

As a poster said, the times are changing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

Mac's has been the subject of outrage on many other old car forums. It is not just the Model T guys moving to better, more responsive vendors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

So Mac's is less than an hour from me, Even being that close I will still buy anything I need from Langs. Screw me once, shame on you, Screw me twice, Shame on me. I will never give them the chance to screw me twice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Jackson II on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

I have dealt with MAC's, Lang's and Snyder's. For me personally I prefer Snyder's because I always get my parts delivered the next day and their prices are very competitive. Snyder's maintains good inventory and rarely are parts out of stock. An excellent family run business. I have also done business with Lang's and they are good. MAC's, I am not so impressed.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Sorry - I was connected to someone's voice mail and left a message asking them to call me. I repeated my phone number at least twice.

It has now been 6 1/2 hours since I left the message. I guess it should be expected from someone that claimed to have everything in stock and they have just sent the bulk of the order without one part over 3 weeks later.

Pictures are nice but service is important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

I had a top kit that was 3 or 4 years old. Wasnt quite large enough for my car. Needed a couple more inches front to back and side to side. Macs took it back and sent me a new one in about a week. That was great service that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

I waited 2 1/2 months for two headlight bulbs
I found some at auburn IN swap meet
Bought box of ten
I by everything now from Langs
The one thing they back order Monday was shipped today
No complaints other than my transmission screen looked like it was ran over by the UPS truck that delivered it
Bu I can straighten it so its ok

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

Man this has been going on for so many years it's simply amazing. I'm guessing that the takeover amounted to nothing more than some paperwork and a bit of cash flipping with the same crew operating Mac's as before. Can't see why a new crew would be just as bad. I will say, and I expect many would agree, the catalog is tops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 08:21 am:

Will, When did Mac's move to Florida? I heard that they were going to move, but I didn't know they had moved.
Charlie, I agree with you on Mac's catalog. It has nice photos.I use it to look up parts.
I use Lang's,Snyder's and Chaffin's most of the time for part's. Their service is good most of the time. Chaffin's has just put out a new catalog that is almost as good as Mac's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:42 am:

I don't think it's ever been a secret that the family-run parts establishments provide much better customer service—with a personal touch—than do the big, impersonal business firms. -While giving my insignificant amount of business to the Mom & Pop shops, I also need to remember that the parts conveniently ordered by phone for a century-old, out of production car are manufactured and sold by a relatively small group of concerns and we can't afford to lose even the least wonderful of the bunch—though be they what 21st-Century society has deemed to be the very worst of all villians—corporations.

By the grace of the MTFCA, we're an open forum without a whole lot of restriction on content and I suppose it's good that we can warn our brethren about experiences with whomever allegedly deals us dirty. -Those "whomevers" do watch this forum—they'd have to be awfully dumb not to—and they do realize that getting blackballed here would make for substantial consequences. -This is one of the few places where an individual can wield a lot of power, so it behooves us to be fair and careful. - No doubt, this forum goes a long way in keeping honest any whose natural inclinations might be less than completely veracious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 10:27 am:

I had dealt with Mac's years ago when into Model "A"s (owned 18)w/3 Nat'l Show Winners. Always got decent/responsive service until Eckler's take over. I ordered a lot of parts, rarely ever under $700 each time as I only have 7 Model "T"s at present !!! Was warned by club members and other friends many times "it's only a matter of time an your number will come up" WHAT THE HELL !!! Well you guessed it, shit happened one day and the arrogant supervisor just didn't care if he lost another customer. Through the years I spent thousands of dollars at that store but they don't give a damn, so I told em' "I'm DONE" and meant it. Now I use their magazine to light my wood stove in the shop and enjoy it immensely each time the fire starts !!! Don/Steve Lang really treat me good, I'm committed to good service with a exceptional good attitude at Lang's from now on. Didn't listen when warned about Mac's but guaranteed it will happen, your number will come up one day. Maybe someone will listen to my advise and save yourself alotta grief and frustration.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

I gave Mac's another try this summer.
I ordered some F1 pickup parts.
Just like before, they sent me an email SIX days later to tell me my order was being processed.
That's it for me. There so many other and quicker places to order stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

There is always SMITH and JONES in South Carolina for Model T and A parts. They will tell you if it is in stock and if so, ship it that day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Yup R.S., I like to hear that old,"I'll get this shipped out today" from the person taking my order.
Most places I deal with say that unless I order in the afternoon.
There are so many quick and friendly parts houses to deal with that aren't afraid of making money.
And they don't require that I fill out a survey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

And I dearly loved doing business with Ken Meek. What a loss,both as a friend and to the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

I am just glad Mac's does not have a K on the end so folks wont get me me confused with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

This morning I ordered two front wheel cylinders for a '39 ford panel truck I am doing a total restoration on.
I ordered them from Rock Auto.
About n hour later I had an email confirming the order.
They won't be sending me an email in six days telling me my order is being processed, because just before noon I got an email saying my order HAS SHIPPED!
Not being shipped....HAS shipped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

Ordered lots of stuff recently from Mac's. After a week or so, I called about the status, they said it would ship soon. After another week, I called and canceled my order and ordered from Snyders. Got my parts in no time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Jim, My thoughts are with you. My wife and I were a few cars behind him on the tour when the accident happened. We did not see it when it happened, but we saw the car after the accident.
He was a nice man !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Eckler's has owned MAC's since 2013.
I have only a couple experiences with Eckler's for parts for my '59 Chevy and they were stellar.
Apparently Eckler's hasn't shaped up MAC's yet.
If you have a complaint file it with Eckler's.
They do pay attention unless this is a case of getting too big.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 01:42 am:

Yes, Peter, Ken was tops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 09:57 am:

All I know is that I ordered some Ford Galaxie parts from a Macs catalog and promptly got the parts and a newer Galaxie catalog. A few days later I received a Torino, Fairlane catalogue and a Falcon, Comet catalogue.

I still get their T parts catalogues but haven't ordered from them lately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Still haven't heard from Mac's customer service.

Sunday evening I ordered about $80 worth of small parts for my Model A from Snyders and just got an email saying that they have been shipped.
They are expecting them to be on my doorstep on Wed.
The order included the spring that Mac's has had "in stock' since Aug 15 but have not shipped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Are there any theories as to why the service seems to vary so much? Some of you say they are great and ship promptly. Others wait weeks before receiving items that are in stock (Me included).

What would cause such a variation in quality of service? It doesn't appear to be things changing over time, as the stories of poor service have been going on for at least 15 years and we have yet another one at the beginning of this thread.

Is it our individual expectations? Possibly, but I find it hard to believe any of us would consider 2 weeks to ship something that is in stock to be "Prompt".

It would be interesting to see what others' theories are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

My guess would be that they have more than one person filling orders. Sometimes you get the competent one, and when your luck runs out you get one of the others. Happily, there are several other dealers where this is not a problem.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on September 12, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

I'm confused. For a long time (years?) I've been reading horror stories on this forum about Mac's. I never read anything but high praise about Lang's, Snyder's, or Chaffin's. So why are so many of you still ordering from Mac's? More specifically, why are so many of you ordering AGAIN from Mac's, having been burned before? Do you enjoy hitting your own heads with a hammer? If you're looking for more frustration in the old car hobby, I have a Stanley Steamer for sale!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

I think Steve has it about right. They probably have some order fillers that are more competent than others.
The other vendors have less employees and some are family. Its a larger parts business that probably has more to deal with but good service is the bottom line to have a good business.

Believe it or not there are folks out there that you can never please with no matter what you do. You see them every once and a while at parts counters or when ordering a hamburger. Its not good when a person is trying to wait on one of these people and make a mistake. Saw this happen at a burger joint when they put onions on his hamburger when he didn't ask for it. The guy made a hell of a scene in front of everybody.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

I'm not sure I buy the competent vs. incompetent employee explanation. So if I call and get Employee A, they process my order and it gets shipped today or tomorrow, but if I call and get Employee B, they wait around for two weeks before entering my order? Or maybe my order gets entered when I call, then Employee C packs up my order and has it sitting on the UPS conveyor that very day, but if Employee D is supposed to package it, they wait for two weeks before doing so?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

If A talks with B about lunch, and C overhears it, D will want them to bring a doggy bag for E, and F will fall asleep.
G will tell H about the F falling asleep and they will complain to I. J will then kick K's chair and it will startle L who will go home and yell at M.
N will be hiding under the bed and while running out of the house plow into O who will stagger into P. Q, R, S, and T will try to help P but U will get in the way. V will try get involved and W run the other way. X will see W running and try to keep up with him. Y will laugh at all of this and Z will finally ask A why he talked to B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Gil, that's funny. I watched a Stanley start-up demonstration last year, and it took most of an hour.

It amazes me too that people get burned by Mac's and keep going back for more, especially when there are so many other dealers who operate hassle-free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

I feel so left out, I've done business with Macs for about a dozen or so years and have yet to have a problem with their service. Some of their product has been a bit questionable but that seems to be a problem with a lot of the vendors. If I had to pick favorites I'd have to go with Langs, Snyders, Bobs, Oso's, Chaffins...

Ten years ago, if you asked one of the early V8 guys who their choice of vendors was it would be Dennis Carpenters or Macs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

Can't see it being one counter person or the other. (Good cop/bad cop). I think they just don't have a lot of the stuff on hand. There's no other sensible explanation. It's not being sent out because it's not there. It would be hilarious if they were filling orders by ordering from other vendors then repackaging and mailing. It would explain their higher prices. No wait, even that wouldn't take weeks & weeks!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:01 am:

I have dealt with Macs a few times and I would agree that I have had faster and more efficient service through Langs, Chaffins, or Snyders, the three vendors that I primarily do business with. I will say this one positive about them, though... I ordered a nylon carpet for my car through Langs for my sedan (nylon because I have kids that go in and out of the car all the time - three times this past weekend to the park). When testing the installation of the snap rings, the fibers pulled away from the edge without much force. Needless to say, it was very cheaply made, but not at a cheap price.

I took photos of it and sent them to Steven Lang. He said that Macs makes the carpets up upon request and would talk to the powers that be about a replacement. Macs replaced the carpet and put on an additional backing for added strength at no additional charge. I have had to pull up the carpet on several occasions to recharge the battery or to adjust the bands and the extra backing has provided the additional support. I hope they add it to all of their carpets from now on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:05 am:

Steve, I guess 35 minutes is most of an hour. IF all the tanks are filled and IF the pressures are all up to snuff and ESPECIALLY IF I'm not in a hurry, I can be on the road in 35 minutes. If I try to rush the procedure, I'm going to do something stupid, like start a fire where I don't want a fire. Waiting for the unwanted fire to burn itself out and starting the procedure again, this time decidedly NOT in a hurry, will put me on the road in something over an hour. Moral of the story: haste makes waste. I've learned the hard way to chill out, relax, take my time, and savor the fascination of the ancient technology I'm bringing back to life. If I do that, it's all good. If I sell the car, the new owner will have the joy (or the frustration) of learning this philosophy. But s/he will learn, as I have, that a properly running Stanley is a feast for the soul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 02:30 am:

Yep Gilbert--if you don't let the vaporizing coils and the pilot casting get hot enough, and you put too much fuel in them, then it's pretty much blow out the fire at the nozzles and start over again!!
Been there, done that! :-)
It's goofy, I miss that "fun"!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

The problem with Macs is they try to cover too many years of cars. They do however have an impressive catalog. I prefer to deal with Langs only, because they deal only in Model T parts, and I consider the Lang family personal friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

I too ditched Mac's for lack of customer service. Bob's Antique Auto Parts has become my go-to supplier - fast service and quick communication to me if something is not in stock. When Bob does not have what I want Langs is my backup. Fun Projects also - very impressed with the service and the "how-to" documents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

We ordered some 1966 Corvette parts from Ecklers in early July. They sent an email stating that all parts were on back order about a week later, but expected to ship within 7 days.

About two weeks ago - still nothing shipped from Ecklers - I looked on eBay and found several other retailers with the parts we needed at better "Buy it Now" prices than Ecklers catalog prices. We cancelled the order to Ecklers. Got most of the parts from Summit Racing, in stock shipped the same day as the order date. The other parts came from two other private sellers. Got original parts cheaper than the repops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

I used Smith and Jones a couple weeks ago when I needed a muffler.Being they are just 1 state down the muffler got here in 2 days. I have gotten stuff UPS from them next day.
Will probably be calling them again in the morning to get a fan belt and headlight bulb.And might make sure I don't need anything else first! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:59 am:

I should use Smith and Jones more often, myself. Like you say, only 1 state away so I get my parts next day or two at most. I haven't seen their catalog in a couple of years, but it used to just not be up to par with Lang's or Snider's. The pictures were not real clear and they were all at the top of the page and the list of parts at the bottom, so you had to match numbers to pictures. If they put the part numbers and the pictures together in their catalog, I would probably order from them more often. They may have changed it since I looked at one last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

This is turning into a joke.
It would be funny if it were not true.

On Sunday I ordered some things from Snyders and got it today.
It has been a month and Mac's still haven't gotten the last part to me even though they said it was in stock when I ordered it and on Friday hey said that they were shipping it.
I can't understand how an organization can be this messed up unless it is the Clinton political team.

It is good that I added the part to the Snyder's order.

(Message edited by Nhusa on September 14, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

I did not make it clear.

The Mac's parts are for my model A not the T.
I get the T parts from Langs.
Langs service has been great and I am learning that Snyder's is also very good.

(Message edited by Nhusa on September 14, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Go to Bratton's for your Model A parts. Many things set them above everybody else, not the least of which is that when there is more than one manufacturer for a reproduction part, they will carry the higher quality of the two whereas other vendors will carry what is cheap. Also, if there is only one of something on the market and it is not 100%, they will say so in their catalog. Their service is top notch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 08:40 am:

This saga is finally ending and I can get back to real life!

The last part showed up yesterday.
It was the throttle spring and came in a package about the size of a shoe box.
I almost missed it in all the packing material but all is good now.

I only lost a few weeks waiting for parts.
At my age it might have been too late and my kids would have had to deal with the project or sold the car as a "basket case"

Although I am in THE basket NO basket jokes please! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Fred,
Good grief, the size of a shoe box? Could have sent it to you in a padded envelope. Heck, would think someone around would have had a used one to give you.
But, AH HA!! I see the problem; you were mentioning Model A parts on the T forum!!! Bad Karma!! Heh Heh Heh!
Snyders also does pretty good with A parts--but I will admit it has been years since I ordered any A parts, but I will second the Bratton's recommendation; they were very good back when I did buy a lot of A parts.
I am amazed at the number of folks who buy from MACs given the long history of bad service & parts. I feel about the same way towards Sacramento Vintage Ford too--their main interest seems to be V-8, and newer and hot rod parts now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration