Hood Shelf Problems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hood Shelf Problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Purgert on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Hello Experts!

First time posting, you've all been more helpful than you know! I'm rebuilding my 1923 high hood coupe, and have gotten it to drive - thanks again for all your tips that I've read.

I'm trying to assemble the hood shelves, but cannot seem to get them to work right. It seems like the holes where the hood hooks should go through are not in the right places for the rear hook. The photos with the hood shelf dry fit are lined up with the lag bolt holes even though the picture may not look like it. The front hooks appear to line up as I would expect.

When I got it and pulled it out of the garage where it sat for 35+ years, it only had one bent hook holding the top down, and the shelves appeared to be installed backwards.

Please see the pictures for clarity.

Rear hood hook location
Front hood hook location
Hood closed
Hood shelf dry fit
Hood shelf - holes don't seem to line up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

If you are talking about the large hole in the splash apron, some time in the past someone has put earlier splash aprons on the car. high hood cars have this hole further away from the hood. You will need to drill larger holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Purgert on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick response! Before I started drilling, I wanted to make sure that the splash apron was even where the hook was supposed to go through.

Drilling through the splash apron (first photo) is what you meant, right?

Thanks!
Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Yup drill thru the splash apron. Just make the hole is in the correct location.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration