Just bought a T on eBay...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Just bought a T on eBay...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John From Oregon on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

I was able to cough up the bucks to make a nice purchase on eBay, and was wondering if anyone would have any tips on what to watch for with arranging shipping, transferring the title, and whatnot.
I am located in Oregon, and the car is in Texas. I bought it sight unseen, which makes me nervous, but it was cheap enough. The seller had decent pictures, and excellent feedback.
I plan to pay with PayPal, first with a deposit tomorrow, and later the full amount.
I have Freighter Jim's number and will be calling him forthright.
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

John, post a link to the auction if you can so we can see it :-)... we love pictures. Shipping will be the hardest part to get arranged. It is sometimes easy but it can turn into a mess. If Freighter Jim can do it for you, It will become easier ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John From Oregon on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-Ford-Model-T-/162189681400?viewitem=&forcerRptr=tru e&item=162189681400&nma=true&si=IVhP1UYsKTv7Y4bYqmivQ3SopNI%253D&orig_cvip=true& rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Once again, it is true that just one T just isn't enough.
This roadster will be joining a '23 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

Nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

Very nice. Congrats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

The wheels don't look like regular wire wheels. They appear to have a locking ring to retain the bead. If so, these are the type of split rim that can hurt you when you change a tire. I'm sure you will check them out when you receive the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

John,

Congratulations !

Most first time auction winners don't read the bottom of the listing before making a bid.

Your purchase of an car on eBay includes a listed time to pick up your Model T - see what is states.

Try to get as much time as possible for storage until you can arrange transport.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Looks good from the pictures. Not quite like original, but looks OK. Hopefully, it will also run good.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

Nice looking machine. Enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

Love the tan top and brown leather seats..... don't know original from not.... but know my likes! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John From Oregon on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Thanks all for the accolades!

Zibell--The wheels are what is special about this car! If I identified them correctly, they are Dayton Dental drive #10s. You are correct about this type being dangerous, thanks for the reminder.

Freighter Jim--I reread the listing for that information. Didn't see it, but perhaps I missed it. I have sent the seller an email about this; he hasn't responded yet. I will call you this evening yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

John, I know and have met the seller; in fact, I sold him some parts. His name is Gaylord Willett and lives in, or near Montgomery, Texas, about 50 or 60 miles North of Houston. From my dealing with him, he is a nice guy. The car appears to be nice, although it has a non authentic paint job. The top material doesn't seem to fit right. It does have genuine knock off 21" split rim wire wheels which are unusual and probably, rare. The front fenders appear to have been worked a lot, as the outer bead isn't distinct, but nothing a pair of Rootleab fenders won't fix, or drive as is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

John, I just bought a ebay T. On the advice from an experienced hauler I went and picked up my car. Cost me about two thirds of the lowest shipping fee listed including motels. I stayed right on top of communicating with the seller, contact every day. Had a great trip and the seller and his wife were great people. Also I had the car in my shop in less than a week. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Cool car. Drive the wheels off of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

I like the wheels! Split ring wheels are only slightly more dangerous than any other type, once you learn how to work them safely and take proper precautions. I have been working them since I was twelve years old. More than 50 years now. Changed or repaired many dozens of them, and driven way more than a half million miles on split rims.
Congratulations!
Drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 12:25 am:

John, Correction to my post above; it was his coupe that sold for $7,500.00 and had the well massaged front fenders. The beads on the roadster's front fenders look great. You did good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 12:44 am:

John,
I'm with you on not finding a listed time to pick up your Model T. I've bought and sold about20 cars on ebay and this is the first ive heard of it, doesn't mean it's not there.
On a related note, I'd like to see that requirement.
I sold the Pie wagon over two weeks ago, got the deposit, got the full payment and the buyer is telling me he can't find a transporter (very weird).
Conversely, I bought a 27 from MTFCA Classifieds yesterday, wired the funds today, contracted with a transporter at 3:00 PM today and the driver just contacted the seller and will be picking up the car tomorrow afternoon, (Incredible time table).
BTW John, I'm down the road from you in Eugene.

Rod
PS
if its a clear Texas title you will have to take it to your local DMV office to register it. They have to physically check that the vin matches the title. Thats all they look for. If memory serves me correctly it's $170.00 unless you have your own license plate. You can register it as an "antique", "Special Plate" or regular. The regular has to be registered 2 years The other two are a once and done deal, but have restrictions on when you can drive them. Go to Oregon DMV and do a little searching.
Nice car, I was actually looking at it before I bought Bills 27

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:12 am:

I was going to bid on that but I had made an offer to Bill on his coupe and was kind of hanging on to see if I was in the ball park on it. I really liked this roadster -- the wheels, the seats, the whole deal. I'd have put it in storage in Texas until I go down later this fall and would have picked it up myself after I had some fun with it down there.

I sure liked those wheels. It actually sold for a little less than I thought it might. I think a few more better pictures and a little more info might have made the seller some money. Couldn't tell if it had a Ruckstell, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:53 am:

John,

Good to talk to you on the phone.

I went to eBay and reviewed your model T description, all it says under shipping is " Buyer is Responsible ".

The standard default setting used to be seven days which the Seller could change if they chose to when the auction listing was created.

It can be a bit confusing trying to figure out how much actual time a prospective Buyer has to pick up a vehicle when nothing is specified in the listing.

I guess since eBay started trying to obtain additional revenue by aligning themselves with transport companies, they have once again left the Buyer out in the cold.

It is always best to go pick up your vehicle yourself if your schedule allows you to do that.

In general, it takes an average of 30 days for a vehicle to actually be picked up in most cases, that depends on the actual pick up location and the actual drop off location along with the vehicle itself-the method of shipping-the transport budget.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Yes, the wheels are definitely #10 Daytons and do look great on that car. As far as being dangerous because they are snap ring wheels- no more dangerous that looking in a gas tank with a candle! Nice thing is its possible to change out a tube in one of those in about 5 minutes! Just make sure not to be in front of the wheel when you 1st put air in it to make sure the snap ring is seated. You can easily verify if the snap ring is seated properly so its not too much of a big deal to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

The seller, Gaylord Willett, has had his roadster and his coupe for sale in the Houston club's newsletter for a while before putting it on Ebay, so us locals can't say that we didn't have a chance at them. I can only guess that T enthusiasts in our area either were "car poor" and didn't have room for another car or they didn't have the extra funds for another purchase. It sold a lot cheaper than I have in my 27 coupe and 26 fordor.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration