I decided on a truck .... 1923 Ford Model TT Truck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I decided on a truck .... 1923 Ford Model TT Truck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Sebaugh on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Look what arrived at my house last night about 9:30 pm. Here is the link to the pictures.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/model-tt/1817556.html

It was in Gilbert, AZ but was originally found in Sierra Vista, AZ about 10 miles from the Mexican border. A good barn find/Arizona desert truck, very solid frame and body with very little rust through. All the bracing, body and frame are great. Will take some work on getting it going (running gear) but the body of the truck will remain the same. I am going to leave the truck as original as found, just make it safe so I can drive it around just as it looks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

Nice score!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 12:39 am:

This is not a 23, or someone retrofitted a closed cab body onto an earlier
chassis (entirely possible). The pedals have the letters on them (an even
earlier design) so, this truck may be a classic compilation of parts from old
day junk piles to keep the old dog running. Most are.

The box cab was first available in 1924.

I see it has a Ruckstell.

Only crazy bas#@ds want/drive TT trucks. Welcome to the club ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 02:37 am:

Burger is right, it's a '24 or newer with a high radiator. Burger, I believe the pedals have the aftermarket rubber pads on them, which look to be in nice shape. Nice truck!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 06:43 am:

Looks like a great find...a real TT. Congratulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 08:32 am:

That is a really solid truck. As said before it isn't a '23 but that doesn't mean that the basic truck isn't original. Some people just guess at the year when advertising if there isn't a title or the title is from another vehicle. In the end it really doesn't matter.

The cab is the earlier version with the curved windshield slide brackets. The best indicator of the frame year is the hole in the side of the frame at the engine pan ear mounts. The hole was eliminated on TT trucks sometime in '25 I believe. I like the heavy Ruckstell shifter. Nice truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Sebaugh on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 11:59 am:

Thank for all the information on the TT. I looked at items all you brought up. The motor serial number (which matches the title) puts the date of manufacture of the engine at June of 1923. The radiator is the high radiator so 1924 or newer. The TT cab is one of the early ones (thanks Justin on that one). And Justin to answer your question the frame does have the "hole in the side of the frame at the engine pan ear mounts", which puts the frame 1925 or earlier. What you have given me about the TT truck so far, it could be a early TT truck, engine made in 1923 and put together in 1924 (one could only hope).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

I tend to buck the hobby paradigm that "correct" means (and ONLY means) that
it is how something left the factory, while on the other hand praising all sorts of
period accessories. It makes no sense. Sure, understanding what is model-year
correct is a good thing to know, but to my thinking, PERIOD CORRECT overrules
the anal retentive insistence that anything but "factory correct" is WRONG.

These were trucks, and trucks got USED. It wasn't about "pretty" or keeping
everything factory correct. It was about getting the hay in the barn, the potatoes
in the shed, and by golly, if that meant bubble gum and bailing wire to get the job
done, so be it !

To this TT nut, the original attraction, and what still is my driving force, is capturing
the essence of these trucks in use, as they were used (and abused) and carrying
forward that historical time capsule of what people really saw in 1929 or 41 when
they were just "old trucks", still hard at work ..... not some prissy, over-restored
trophy chaser for the look-at-me type.

It's a truck. It will put smiles on faces wherever you go. This is far more meaningful
than any car show crowd, judging committee, or blowhard boob that will tell you all
about how "wrong" your truck is.

Enjoy the "wrong". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Well , since I know very little about TT trucks
other than the mechanics of them

what year is this one ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

'24 or '25. Shorty running boards without boot scrape ends like later boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

What's left of the paint on the spokes makes me think your truck might have been restored a long time ago and then moved outside some years later when the owner or owners children lost interest. The condition of the wood bed makes me think so too. It is extremely weathered but I see little to no wear and tear.

Just a thought.

It is still a real good find. I'd love to have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Hi Gary,
the Cab is original paint, and still has Brantford carriage company labels on the doors,

the BOX I am not sure of , most likely re done ,
It was a produce truck, so it mainly carried fruit and vegetables, from Greely Ont to the Byward Market, as for wear, it has only a little ,
I do know the truck was disassembled by the original owner in 1929
(from his family) and remained in the loft of his barn for decades , It was then partially re assembled by the neighbor, and finished by his son
I have the family Photo album,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Shawn, the rear end under yours is an early one with the bead on the housing where the axle tubes go in. I don't know what year they quit making those but I think it was around 1919 or 1920.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

Hi Justin
I have not looked at in a few years
but I think the engine is a 20 or 21 ??
so it might be earlier ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Nice what fun about model T's they were added to or parts swapped because you needed keep it going or update it suite your needs and great depression you did what you had to do
Factory correct or not get her running safe and sound and enjoy it

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration