I keep hearing the Ford- Service Manual mentioned

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I keep hearing the Ford- Service Manual mentioned
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

With our T's, I've referenced my '26 Dykes for information, along with trying some common sense at the same time. 80+ pages in the Dykes, fold outs, etc. Would an investment in the 'Service Manual' still be justified?
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

In my opinion, yes. :-)

http://www.dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

You betcha hope to tell ya! One of the best how to books for working on the Model T...Except for the time Ford allotted to do the job!
I just can't seem to get the work done in the time Ford allowed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

To add to the above. Dykes is an excellent manual, and an interesting read. But, you still should have the service manual. And,to the newbies and potential newbies.Obtain a copy of Murray Fahnestock s'book Model T FordOwner. Pay whatever it takes to get a copy. I got mine when I was about 15 years old and was just dreaming of putting a T together.An interesting read, and if everyone has a copy, it would save one hell of a lot of bandwidth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Marv: You are never to young or to old to learn something new.
The Service Manual everyone talks about, is invaluable! I have three copies one here near the computer desk two in the shop. They are a must have. If you can find a copy of Ted Ashmans "Tinkeren Tip's grab it also. There are host of hints helps on the T's and you never have host of books and paper work. Even some of the post, most all of them are very helpful here on the Forum.
I have two T'S and have found the forum to have helped me in some of the short cuts to solve a problem, so if I see a good one I will try and down load it and save it for reference.
I am right now putting a new set of signal light on my '19, and so far they look good. I know that the T did not come with signal lights, but as a safety factor they are worth it, ten times over! Oh and I am not a true Purist.

As one out Forum members said/says " Go out and enjoy the Ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

should be As one of our Forum members said/says"Go out and enjoy the RIDE!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

And if you can't wait for your copy of the Service Manual to arrive, you can always read it online: http://mtfci2002.readyhosting.com/manuals/Model_T_Service_Manual/mtsm.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Excellent source of information , well written good illustrations.
It helped me out many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

It's an odd duck especially if you expect a Motors Manual kind of book. It's rather oddly written or the phrases are odd (or dated) I should say. Depending on the age of your copy the photo's can be quite atrocious. It was written as a time standard for Ford dealership mechanics which is why hours & minutes appear at each job. You may find that it looks like some of the stuff is written for people that are already familiar with the car and the particular job their doing. Because they were. It's all that's out there as far as a T manual goes so it's necessary. Fahenstock's book is a plus too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. South Coast. NSW. OZ on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

And don't overlook this little beauty....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

When in doubt go to the source. The Ford Service manual is what the name implies, for Ford Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Thanks, Guys!
Appreciate the link, Roger...All great and usable!
While looking at the index and peeking at various pages, I didn't notice anything about TT's and the worm-drive Ruckstell, (which is under my Dad's TT.) Doubtful its been apart in the last 75 years, if ever. No noticeable problems, so maybe I should just 'Leave well-enough alone'? (At least for now....) Dykes has some info, but I'm like the carpenter who wants to measure three times before cutting.
One of my grandsons will eventually inherit the truck, and it would likely be helpful to provide as many details as possible. "Thinkin ahead, doncha know....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

The McCalley CD which can be purchased from his widow has an excellent copy of the service manual.
It has excellent pictures which the later hard copies don't have.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration