Ruckstell Gear Oil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ruckstell Gear Oil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

I've been reading up on how to properly use the Ruckstell rear axle. One post specified 90w-140 gear oil. 85w-140 is readily available. The 90 not so much. Will the 85-140 be ok?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Yes. 85W-140 is fine. Been running 85W-140 full synthetic in my Ruckstell for three years now. No issues at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 07:14 am:

The girls I go with use 90W and STP half and half and I haven't had any problem yet'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 09:36 am:

Eugene - can you elaborate on the STP? What particular product of theirs? And I assume you are mixing it 50/50 with the 90W oil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:31 am:

What the numbers mean: When hot, the viscosity will never be less (thiner) than the viscosity of straight 85 and when cold the viscosity will never be more (thicker) than straight 140. It really only makes a difference if you are planning on driving your T when it is 30 below or 110 above whether you use multi-viscosity oil or not.

Personally, I am a big fan of Lucas products and run it in every engine, transmission and differential in every vehicle as much as possible. I recommend 85/140 with a half pint of Lucas for Ruckstells but I have absolutely no scientific evidence that it is better than any thing else. Any product today including the cheapest off brand is better than the best available during the day of the Ford T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Charlie.... Go into any auto parts store and ask for STP, sold ever .where. Mix 50 percent STP and 50 percent 90 weight gear oil, can't get any eiser than that. STP is slicker than snot on a door knob and sticks to the gears and don't drain off the gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 12:24 am:

For years, I've been using Synthetic gear oil from McMaster Carr in the Ruckstell. Stays clear and Has not turned "Gold" so I know it in not attacking the bronze thrust washer. You need good axle seals as Synthetic oil tends to leak more compared to conventional oils. That's what I have found....others may not agree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 12:47 am:

I think Les Silveira has Ben running 75/140 or 85/140 in two Ruckstels, a speedster and a flat bed pickup, for well over 25 years.
I have never heard of a rear end burning up because the lubricant was too thin, leaks yes but
I have known of several burning up because the gear oil was too thick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 11:26 am:

I use straight Sta Lube 140

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Larry, you'll probably be the next one to burn up a Ruckstel.
Don't tell us we didn't warn you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Larry, you'll probably be the next one to burn up a Ruckstel.
Don't tell us we didn't warn you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

I run 85w 140 syn also for two years no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 10:58 am:

I knew a guy who ran his touring around his neighborhood for 3 or 4 years with no gear oil in the rear at all and never had any issues, but that doesn't mean it is ok to do it.

He gave his grand kids rides in the neighborhood & trailered the car to car shows.
The rear end never leaked a drop.
When I took it apart to change the thrust washers I saw that the gears had ben coated with a light smearing o chassis grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 11:53 am:

I've been running straight 140 in my Ruckstells for over 50 years. Haven't burnt one up yet. I wonder where some people get their information? At least, I know how to spell Ruckstell!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

I never wear a jacket or overshoes either, but I wouldn't do it in Washington or Montana or Minnesota in the wintertime.
I have spent many many hours heating rear ends with a blow torch to get the 140 to drain.
I have burned rear ends up myself because I didn't drain the 90 and put in 80 back in the days when there was no multi-grades.
I know how to spell Ruckstell too, but not being purest like some guys I often miss letters.
At least I didn't spell it Ruxtell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

What does the guy that builds them recommend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Stan Howe made a recommendation in 2012:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/290763.html?1337863484

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration