Canadian factory location?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Canadian factory location?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. South Coast. NSW. OZ on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the EXACT location of the original Canadian Ford T factory in Walkerville please?
Having a car made there, I'd like to look it up when I visit next year, along with anything else that might remain. I'm told there is a statue commemorating the workers that's worth a look.
Any info would be a help.
Thanks & Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Can give you the full address of Canadian branches, over seas parts books just list Ford Ontario as factory and general offices.

I found this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

A more accurate history of Ford of Canada and the Walkerville Plant is found in Wikipedia

Near Dieppe Park on Windsor's riverfront, you can see where the articles of incorporation were signed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Rob according to Wikipedia -- the plant was torn down. However, I believe you will be able to locate the site. Note it went by various names -- but Ford City was it at one time.

See: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/det/item/det1994022188/PP/ for a nice photo of the site back in the teens.

Google maps has information but it is getting late and we have several months before we need the answer. See: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1vXsyCCtBQVDEOhTz82PELdMw3kc&hl=en_US

Note that it shows the location of the same Belle Island that is shown on the map from page 10 of David Roberts book "In the Shadow of Detroit." I have cropped the part of that map you are interested in and it is shown below.

The complete map is available on page 10 see: https://books.google.com/books?id=THOyZ5JwkEQC&pg=PA88&dq=In+the+shadow+of+detroit&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiojf7clobPAhXMOD4KHZfMAYMQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=In%20the%20shadow%20of%20detroit&f=false From the current Google map and the map from page 10, I believe you will be able to see where the plant was originally located.

And hopefully there is a historic marker etc. there.

Have a safe trip.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

Hap, Thomas and Frank,
"Thank you" Gents,
Much appreciated.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 01:15 am:

Go to Google Maps and type this address in to show the power house.

3201 Riverside Drive Windsor Ontario

Then go to Streetview to see the building.

Can't seem to get the link to work.

+ON+N8Y+1A5

In Frank's picture above the light coloured soil on the right is remnants of the casting sand that used to be piled there when I was growing up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 01:55 am:

Thanks to you too Chris. It was your contact this morning that prompted this thread.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 02:42 am:

Rob,
The building is long gone. Ford Canada no longer has Archives.
Some of the archives were moved to Oakville, Ontario many years ago then moved again to Ford Archives in Detroit (not Benson). A few records were found when the Walkerville factory was torn down. These records were donated to the University of Windsor-Leddy Library. http://cronus.uwindsor.ca/units/archive/ford.nsf/inToc/ECEE31B4D82D10ED85256A400 0507B60?OpenDocument

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:11 am:

There are still two Model T plants standing in Toronto. Both are fully accessible. One of them has two Model Ts on display and old photos in the original showroom which is now a cafe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Rob, I believe this link is the Plant in Toronto that Dave mentions.

Best regards, John Page, Australia

http://www.autofocus.ca/news-events/features/ford-used-to-test-model-ts-on-the-r oof-of-this-toronto-factory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Yes John, thanks. That's the place. You can see the pillars and ceiling design in the photos of the original showroom and the modern cafe which prove it is the same room. The owner of the plant is quite proud of it and loves to give full tours to Model T people. The plant that came after that one also still stands and was a shopping mall for decades. It has been mainly outlet stores for some time but, Lowes Home Improvements recently opened in most of the original plant. Not much to see except that the mall drop ceiling has been removed for the first time since the Model T days. This has exposed some old brick work and an interesting series of rods and controls that could open whole rows of sawtooth roof windows all at once to keep Ford's workers cool. Both plants are located right in front of railway tracks as was the Ford custom. Here is a link to the second plant. https://www.lowes.ca/articles/danforth_a6356.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration