Horn button

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Horn button
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

Does anybody know anything about this horn button? It is on my 23 "T" and I need to get it apart to install a new wire. It is part of the nut that holds the steering wheel. I can't get the picture to upload. It's not to big, it's just my computer or me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Most likely aftermarket button that replaces the Ford steering wheel nut, wires run to horn.

Aftermarket

T's made in Canada came from the factory with center mount horn button.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Close up of typical aftermarket horn button for steering wheel.

Nickel plated case crimped on threaded nut, so the case with contacts swivels with the wheel, leave wire long enough to complete wheel revolution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

Yes that's the one. Has anybody replaced the wire? Can it be just pried off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Tom

If its like this one, then easy.

The crimped nickel case has two 'crimp buttons' that ride in the groove of the steering wheel nut.

Just pry it off carefully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 02:50 am:

The wire is soldered on. It is usually 16 ga. Any larger tends to get rubbed through and shorts to the cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 08:44 am:

I have to say, I just replace the Apco center nut horn button on my Speedster with an original style repop housing and button that mounts on the side of the steering column. I found over the last few years that the drooping length of horn wire that is necessary for this aftermarket accessory horn button was more problematic than it was worth to have on the car. I never did like how much wire hung down below the column. The original style mounting is much cleaner and simpler, in my opinion. So far, I'm very happy with the change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 09:09 am:

Here' a accessory horn button that predates the factory side mount horn button and moves it out to the edge of the steering wheel.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration